Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Custom Bored Throttle Body Source Information

• Getting More Air? A Hot Mod. Discuss here.
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

Getting More Air? A Hot Mod. Discuss here.

Moderator: Moderators

#218928  by 300maximilien

MAXBORE

$125 includes return shipping

http://www.maxbore.com

I have been talking to the owner of this Company and he has done a few of our style throttle bodies over the years. Although it has been a while and he doesn't remember what the exact measurements ended up being. I told him I have read reports of 70-72mm. He told me he can do as big as the casting will allow without damage or weakening. All parts are custom made. Even the Butterfly!

I am sending one out to him Monday and will report back what the final outcome is.

Here is information from his sight
Maxbore is not just a name, it's the way we bore Throttle Bodies (TB).

Unlike most shops that offer this service, we bore each TB to the maximum safest bore possible. The only way to do this is to machine our own "in house" custom butterflies. We do not use pre-cut or die-cut butterflies. We make butterflies in any diameter, thickness, stop angle or bolt pattern. For this reason, we can bore just about any type of TB out there that uses a single round butterfly. At Maxbore, our goal is to provide a bored TB that works 100% like OEM. We guarantee that your TB will idle like it did when it was new.

No cores used. We bore your TB and we send back your sensors. We do not swap parts.

#218940  by Brando26

Good info! at what cost?
 #218941  by grayslater

I emailed this guy once but decided to try my brother. He's been holding out on my a bit but I did tell him I was in no hurry. But I called him Friday and he said it was finished. He said that he only had to clean it up and send it out to me.

Supposedly there is enough materials to make possibly 6 more butterflies. I'll let everyone know of any updates.

Is Maxbore still around $100?
 #218951  by Brando26

stupid question - what is a butterfly in regard to a car other than a good candidate for an excuse for a carwash?

how big was he able to make it, Cory?
 #218953  by 300maximilien

Price info added...it is on there site under pricing

$125 includes return shipping

the butterfly is the throttle plate
 #218957  by grayslater

brando26 wrote:how big was he able to make it, Cory?
I told him that the biggest I wanted to go was 70mm.
 #218983  by Brando26

Awesome, that is significantly cheaper than previously available cost.
 #218986  by 300maximilien

brando26 wrote:Awesome, that is significantly cheaper than previously available cost.
And done by a Professional!!
 #219006  by CaptainMorgan

I'll wait to see the final results of this, but I'm looking around for a custom TB idea.

I want it to be 71.5mm along with a taper out to maybe 74 at the back end, whatever I end up measuring that I can go to on the plenum.

I might have a small spacer made to adapt to be all the way as big as I can go on the plenum.

That to me would be as good as you could possibly go with a TB on this car.

Then the only changes I'll ever need to make to the intake past the TB is a little rebore on the bottom of the LIM to match getting a set of heads done.
 #219043  by LUNAT1C

I'm interested, pending final outcome and pending my employment situation -- hopefully should be employed with a full time job this summer.
 #219109  by SPAD3

I currently have a 72MM waiting to be installed this weekend. It is the only one to my knowledge.

I will be needing another TB for the 02. Since the 02 is stock, I am going to be runing dynos for each mod. So it will be stock with bored TB, stock with spacer, etc. So I will definitely be watching this.
 #220419  by grayslater

Received my TB from my brother yesterday in the mail! I had to reassemble 1/2 of it but it was definitely a great learning experience. My brother damaged one of the screws for the butterfly in the disassembly process so I made (2) new ones. I need to go and get myself some Loctite to put on these and I believe there is a drying period, so I won't be installing this today however. Hopefully sometime later in the week when the weather warms back up.

I also spent a good 40 minutes or so cleaning the throttle body with TB cleaner and clean rags. The IACV was very dirty. No telling how long this TB was sitting exposed at the Salvage Yard or on a dirty shelf?? Once the IACV was all cleaned to my satisfaction, the O-rings were inspected and I added a little bit of dielectric grease to them to make installation a breeze.

By looks alone, I think my brother did and excellent job. Hopefully installation compliments that comment. :) There are some subtle difference to the butterfly however and I'll explain. He had some materials on hand in the shop but it turned out to be half the thickness of the original material. So he simply made (2) of them and they're placed in there back to back. The holes for the butterflies are slightly enlarged too to allow for small adjustments in placement. You can even change the shape of the butterfly essentially so that the circle is more elliptical. This essentially can be done because the butterfly is not exactly perpendicual to the circular bore of the throttle body. I don't know if I'll have to play with this or not but I'm going to just start out as closely as possible to the original setup when I remove the existing TB on my Special.

Anyway here are some pics as I have it here in my office.
IMG_0643_1.jpg
IMG_0646_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 #220530  by Croff

Does anyone know how does it affect the fuel economy and how much hp increase it has?
 #220532  by grayslater

Croff wrote:Does anyone know how does it affect the fuel economy and how much hp increase it has?
Believe me, you'll be hearing about this. Hopefully I'll get it installed before going to the big meet in Ohio. I'll have plenty of drive time (6hrs) to give some feedback.
 #220565  by Bill Putney

CaptainMorgan wrote:That last picture with the light shining around the bottom of the throttle plate concerns me a bit Cory. It isn't a lot, but still ideally you want it to completely seal. Any air leakage there will screw with your idle.
Dan - Do you think it's more than the IAC can compensate for?
 #220582  by Brando26

I had a fiasco experience with one from Tom's that the machine shop screwed up. They forgot to put the C-clip back on the butterfly. There was barely any space at all and the engine would idle around 1500 RPM! it was crazy.

I would definitely try to adjust your plates and see if you can get them to seal off completely.
 #220622  by grayslater

CaptainMorgan wrote:That last picture with the light shining around the bottom of the throttle plate concerns me a bit Cory. It isn't a lot, but still ideally you want it to completely seal. Any air leakage there will screw with your idle.
As stated, this was exactly the problem. I had compared the two TBs and noticed the difference. I thought some of the lacking gap was related to some of the "gunk" inside the throttle body.

I recall seeing some of the other guys doing this mod having an increase in idle speed. Well, I (had) the same problem. My original TB went back in. But with the engine cold, there was probably a 500 RPM increase in idle speed.
 #220623  by grayslater

Bill Putney wrote:
Dan - Do you think it's more than the IAC can compensate for?
I remember Art having this problem with his Intrepid. He had it installed much longer than I did. Mine was running a couple of minutes tops. But the butterfly valve was completely up against the idle stop so I don't believe the IACV could control it any further?? Perhaps if I could control the idle set screw but it is a torque head with a pin in the middle of it.
brando26 wrote: I had a fiasco experience with one from Tom's that the machine shop screwed up. They forgot to put the C-clip back on the butterfly. There was barely any space at all and the engine would idle around 1500 RPM! it was crazy.

I would definitely try to adjust your plates and see if you can get them to seal off completely.
I had about the same idle speed and I tried for some time last night to try and adjust those plates. I thought I had the underside nicely sealed but I couldn't gain the same results on the top.
 #221401  by Croff

Hey whats the stock diameter of 3,5L TB? I ask from some local homies from metal shop how much they will charge for this job. And if the hole is bigger you or the company who enlarges it changes the butterfly valve too? I shearched from forum and found something about Holley valve, is this bigger nad had to install for the bigger hole?