• Special Skirts Reconditioning

• Maybe we should have called this the Zaino forum
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

Maybe we should have called this the Zaino forum

Moderator: Moderators

#222528  by Blue300M

Hello,

Today I was thinking of what to do with the Special's unpainted skirts. Since I bought the car a few months back, I've never took care of the exterior of the car due to some panels that need to be repainted.

Today, I sprayed the grills with a black Vinyl and Fabric spray. The result was terrific :) . I actually loved the spray because it doesn't stick on the car's body or the chrome frame, you can wipe it instantly. Very ideal for lazy people like me who doesn't mask perfectly :P .

Anyways, I loved the idea of that spray, and at the same time, the skirts look horrible and need to be reconditioned.

I thought of buying a gray spray and paint them but I wasn't lucky enough to find the proper color. I bought one but it wasn't dark enough.

Is there a way to recondition the skirts by cleaning them and/or wax them (... or whatever) that could make them clean and shinny?

Thanks!
 #222533  by LUNAT1C

Don't bother waxing them. It'll collect in the grainy finish and turn white. I was going to paint mine, but my uncle strongly advised against it for reason of rock chips destroying it. Instead, he gave me a special cleaner designed for cleaning rubber and panels, to removing things like unwanted grease and wax. It works beautifully at cleaning the ground effects, as well as the black textured window seals. The name escapes me at the moment (rubber something or other), but it's made from Isopropyl alcohol and is safe for paint.

Is your skirting dirty, or faded away? If it's dirty then you should be able to clean it.
 #222534  by Blue300M

Thanks a lot!

Please let me know once you remember the name :) .

Mine is dirty and you can say a little bit faded. Once they are clean I will try to use plastic wax (I used it a few years ago with my headlights for my previous M). That wax is a one step wax, just like leather cleaners. Did you try that?
 #222596  by 300MAZING

I used this and it works great!
http://www.trimshine.com/

Others have used it and turned me on to it and i will not switch.
Try their class cleaner it works great and is safe for tint.
One other product to use is meguiars M40. That work well also.
 #222630  by LUNAT1C

Blue300M wrote:Thanks a lot!

Mine is dirty and you can say a little bit faded. Once they are clean I will try to use plastic wax (I used it a few years ago with my headlights for my previous M). That wax is a one step wax, just like leather cleaners. Did you try that?
I wouldn't use any sort of wax on it. It builds up in the grained/textured surface, turns white, and looks awful. If it was a smooth surface, I'd suggest wax (and not plastic wax, which is meant for lights, not body panels).

When I get home tonight I'll find the can of the stuff he used. I'm hopefully getting the car back tomorrow (rockin' an '05 Impala at the moment... I miss my sporty suspension!!) and I'll be able to finish cleaning the two-tone and get the full result. It cleans the wax out, shines it up sort of like Armor All, but without the white residue.

My uncle is positive that other companies, like Meguiar's, would carry a similar product. Once the can he gave me runs out I'll go through their website or catalog and find out.
 #222650  by 300MAZING

rknapp wrote:
Blue300M wrote:Thanks a lot!

I wouldn't use any sort of wax on it. It builds up in the grained/textured surface, turns white, and looks awful. If it was a smooth surface, I'd suggest wax (and not plastic wax, which is meant for lights, not body panels).

When I get home tonight I'll find the can of the stuff he used. I'm hopefully getting the car back tomorrow (rockin' an '05 Impala at the moment... I miss my sporty suspension!!) and I'll be able to finish cleaning the two-tone and get the full result. It cleans the wax out, shines it up sort of like Armor All, but without the white residue.

My uncle is positive that other companies, like Meguiar's, would carry a similar product. Once the can he gave me runs out I'll go through their website or catalog and find out.

Robert have you tried the turtle wax ice? That works great on the textured surface without any residue.
 #222669  by LUNAT1C

As far as I know, that surface isn't designed to be waxed. If it was a smooth surface, like the paint above it, I'd say go for it. As it is from the factory, I don't see the point of waxing that section. Clean it everytime you wash the car and you're good to go. The product I was talking about is called "Rubber Care" by a company called Wurth.

A quick search through the Meguiar's product page showed a specialized trim detailer, designed to restore these pieces, and remove grease and wax residue. Not sure on what the product contains, but you can probably find it at places like Advance and Autozone.

I would use those products, and nothing else.
 #222684  by Blue300M

Thanks everyone!

Today I went to "Part Source" and bought Mother's Back to Black. Then, I went back to my car and saw a new email in my iPhone, which was regarding "300Mazing" post... So, I went back inside and bought that too :D ... (good timing :wink: )

It was rainy today so I didn't have the chance to test them, but I will do that next week after I get some panels painted and the car detailed.

I will get the rubber care too very soon...

Thanks again :wink:
 #222700  by LUNAT1C

Just so you know, Mother's Back-to-Black is very temporary. It washes away in the rain. It's great for car shows, when you only need the panel to look great for that day, but it will be gone with the next rain storm.
 #222701  by Blue300M

rknapp wrote:Just so you know, Mother's Back-to-Black is very temporary. It washes away in the rain. It's great for car shows, when you only need the panel to look great for that day, but it will be gone with the next rain storm.
I see, so it's like what we put on the tires to make them shine...