2%
2004 No
4%
Replaced Evaporator
12%
Did NOT Replace/ No A/C
5%
 #230103  by FIREM

As our cars age there appears to be an issue with A/C Evaporator faillures.
In an attempt to track real world failures this poll is an attempt to track what is really going on.
(Mileage at time of failure < less than, >greater than)
 #230105  by smokey

My 2000 has not but I suspect that might be why it isn't cooling as well as it used to. Mechanic just topped off the refrigerent but that didn't make any difference.
 #230107  by grayslater

Poll only allows for one vote but I haven't had an issue with it in either of my 3 Ms.
2000 with 187K (had the system charged once at Sears and it fixed any issue I was having)
2002 with 72K
2004 with over 156K

Also note that I rarely use the AC myself unless it's over 85 degrees. You're talking to Mr. MPG! Even in the winter I chose to control the temperature manually and prevent the usage of using the defrost any more than I have to.

My wife however is a different story. :)

I don't think this is as big of an issue as some would think. Maybe just bad luck??
 #230109  by beespecial

So which is it that is the cause of the evap core failure, moderate to heavy use of the A/C, or foreign material that collects on top of the core such as leaves and dirt that causes corrosion? Or both?

Up until last November when my office was moved to a location without a covered parking garage, my M was under cover pretty much all the time. Little to no chance of leaves and junk settling in there while at work and certainly not while in the garage at home. And I prefer "windows down" air conditioning unless I have passengers with me, so I don't use the A/C that much. Should my evap core last longer than others that haven't been privileged like mine? Or am I just lucky so far?
 #230110  by FIREM

Edited Poll for additional options for those that had/have more than one LH
Poll is specific to Evaporator Failure.
Most if not all systems will need some attention during their life. Hoses, compressors, clutches etc also do fail. Usually a repaired item. Evap, may be a deal breaker when it comes to fix or not.
Also addad Fix or No Fix to poll....
 #230112  by 300maximilien

beespecial wrote:So which is it that is the cause of the evap core failure, moderate to heavy use of the A/C, or foreign material that collects on top of the core such as leaves and dirt that causes corrosion? Or both?
This one gets my vote. That organic material deteriorating causes a chain reaction effect most likely

I have had to replace the compressor on the '99 the '02 worked flawless
 #230117  by grayslater

FIREM wrote:Edited Poll for additional options for those that had/have more than one LH
Poll is specific to Evaporator Failure.
Most if not all systems will need some attention during their life. Hoses, compressors, clutches etc also do fail. Usually a repaired item. Evap, may be a deal breaker when it comes to fix or not.
Also addad Fix or No Fix to poll....
Thanks Bob! :usflag
 #230126  by Bill Putney

Good poll, Bob.

I have a '98 Concorde, and some European M's are designated as 98's I think. No big deal. Besides checking, '99 'yes' and evap was relaced, I also checked '99 'no' to account for my '98. Being able to make up to 3 choices took care of everything for me.
beespecial wrote:...And I prefer "windows down" air conditioning unless I have passengers with me, so I don't use the A/C that much. Should my evap core last longer than others that haven't been privileged like mine? Or am I just lucky so far?
My guess is that it is a combination of the leaves, etc. *AND* moisture caused by using the a.c. If I'm right, one without the other is probably not going to eat thru the metal. Moisture plus leaves = acids.
 #230130  by FIREM

The failures appear to be "outside in". Acids eating from the outside "rotting" the coil. IF it were INSIDE OUT we would see other failures such as lines and condensers.
"Use" factor would be more on the mechanicals such as clutch/compressor issues.
I use mine ALL the time, flush the "case" anytime the wiper cover is off, and recently had the blower motor out.
Clean/no debris (as expected) :lol:
 #230158  by Maximus

Great thread, I sure hope everyone replies. I use my A/C almost everyday and mine went at 90,000 2 years ago. I now have 125,000 so I guess I have about another 60,000 before I need another.
 #230364  by tinman

Now that I voted and have had no failure on my '99, I realize this is probably the kiss of death for me, like being on the cover of Sports Illustrated or something.
 #230368  by Maximus

No don't think that way, your evap may not go bad if it did not do so as of yet. How many miles you have I forget to look when I posted.
 #230371  by tinman

I'm at 135k. I am joking about my "failure", but heck, if it happens it happens, just like the flurry of problems I have been having recently.
 #230411  by Maximus

Wow, I am disappointed that we only have 20 votes for this pole. With all of the members we have I wish we can get better results, because I still beleive that there is an issue with evaporators with these cars.
You don't have to post a message just click a box.
 #230818  by FIREM

I may be sorry I started this poll. Trip to Carlisle was "less than cool" on Friday. Today I had the dreaded "fog" on the trip to the showfield. Trip back to the hotel was "4-60 A/C" Odds on bet my evap failed.....
 #230820  by grayslater

FIREM wrote:I may be sorry I started this poll. Trip to Carlisle was "less than cool" on Friday. Today I had the dreaded "fog" on the trip to the showfield. Trip back to the hotel was "4-60 A/C" Odds on bet my evap failed.....
:ohboy
 #230824  by Bill Putney

FIREM wrote:I may be sorry I started this poll. Trip to Carlisle was "less than cool" on Friday. Today I had the dreaded "fog" on the trip to the showfield. Trip back to the hotel was "4-60 A/C" Odds on bet my evap failed.....
Achh! You needed to get that mold and dust out of there anyway. :)

Seriously - sorry that's happened, Bob.
 #230840  by 300maximilien

Did you forget to knock on wood before when you posted this Bob?? That just plain sucks.
 #231023  by FIREM

Well we ( big thanks to Ken Eyler) charged up the A/C at the showfield. Got home cool, lasted a day. Will pull the remaining charge, dye the system and see what is going on. Stay tuned....
 #231072  by Maximus

You know what it is :(

If it only lasted 1 day