2%
2004 No
4%
Replaced Evaporator
12%
Did NOT Replace/ No A/C
5%
 #231765  by mnitetrain

Anyone got some cheese twists?? Brownies??? Twinkies??
 #231770  by YardleyBill

You know what other car I see driving around a lot with windows down? Volkswagens.
 #231779  by 85merk

well i bought a can to use for the weekend, because i'm not hitting the track 5hrs away without a/c this saturday :P
 #231782  by YardleyBill

85merk wrote:well i bought a can to use for the weekend, because i'm not hitting the track 5hrs away without a/c this saturday :P
I was surprised my 2.5 hour trip to Carlisle wasn't as bad as I thought without the AC.

Though my hair looked like I had been electrocuted and I was half deaf from wind noise.

5 hours though ... much tougher.
 #287316  by 300maximilien

Any new voters?
 #287606  by mnitetrain

Mine went out, tried recharge just b4 Carlisle but didn't hold. Bobby and Jim volunteered for evap replacement. They had dash out/evap/dash back in about 4 hours but we broke a bolt and had to wait to find replacement. Hopefully we finish it tonite.

Over 700,000 miles on mine. Condensor was replaced when I took out a coyote few years back. Basiclly evacuate and recharge every two or three years is what I credit my long life experience to. Hopefully this Advance Auto evap will last me.......much better deal that dealer.
 #287608  by Maximus

4 hours..... You guys are getting better and better....please post any new shortcuts for us.
 #287614  by 300maximilien

No new shortcuts....just a 2 sets of hands that are extremely familiar with the procedure!
 #287617  by FIREM

Well :x looks like I will join the crew that have to replace an evap. Pro Am A/C crapped out, recharged with dye, no obvious leaks yet but need to access the evap and inspect with UV light....
 #287618  by Shadowvox6

FIREM wrote:Well :x looks like I will join the crew that have to replace an evap. Pro Am A/C crapped out, recharged with dye, no obvious leaks yet but need to access the evap and inspect with UV light....
Found my EVAP leak with black light, dye in the drain tube.
 #287621  by Bill Putney

shadowvox6 wrote:
FIREM wrote:Well :x looks like I will join the crew that have to replace an evap. Pro Am A/C crapped out, recharged with dye, no obvious leaks yet but need to access the evap and inspect with UV light....
Found my EVAP leak with black light, dye in the drain tube.
There ya go! To quote the robot in Short Circuit: "No disassemble" (at least to diagnose).
 #287633  by Maximus

Im betting bob can change it out in 3.75 hours for a new record, in the spirt of the olympics.
 #287634  by FIREM

No sign of dye at drain :ohwell (yet)
Aldata shows repair time of 6 hours
Doubt I will set any records but do not expect to spend all day Saturday on it either
 #287641  by isrb710

Mine seems to be good at 107K miles. Hope it stays that way. I believe it was garaged most of its life. Probably all but 2 years. There was a LOT of crud in the ventilation cowl when I bought the car - one of the first things I did was clean it out.

My evaporator was fairly clean when I inspected the intake side of the evaporator through the evaporator temperature sensor/cover. So my vote is the acid buildup eating through the fins/pipe when there's a lot of crud combined with the moisture that condenses on the fins. All the pictures I've seen here of failed evaps show the damage at the bottom - right where gravity piles up the crud!
 #287642  by isrb710

Here are the failure rates by year at the time I write this post. Looks like 2001 was a bad year for evaps! However, this is a fairly small sample.

1999 --> 4/9 = 44 % failure rate
2000 --> 3/8 = 38 % failure rate
2001 --> 4/5 = 80 % failure rate
2002 --> 3/10 = 30 % failure rate
2003 --> 2/5 = 40 % failure rate
2004 --> 1/4 = 25 % failure rate
 #287671  by Shadowvox6

FIREM wrote:No sign of dye at drain :ohwell (yet)
Aldata shows repair time of 6 hours
Doubt I will set any records but do not expect to spend all day Saturday on it either

I know someone that can do it in 4 hours....
 #287676  by 02SilverSpecial

I have it down to about 4 hours. The hardest part is breaking open the hvac box and getting the dash out. It is NOT a 1 person job, one person on each side, wobble extensions for the upper dash bolts, and patients.

I need to replace my compressor. Swapped out the drier (Advance sent me the T83104, which is about 2 inches shorter than the 83104, so coolant flow was shortened) last night, and when we evacuated the system and refilled it, the low pressure port valve decided it wanted to see what the inside of the compressor looked like.... Long story short, the compressor (CENSORED) the bed... Now I have repalced the EVAP, drier(And will be replacing it again tomorrow), Compressor... Maybe I should just replace the condenser too(Just can't find one in stock!)
 #287683  by Bill Putney

02SilverSpecial wrote:...I need to replace my compressor...when we evacuated the system and refilled it, the low pressure port valve decided it wanted to see what the inside of the compressor looked like...
When you replace the compressor, be aware that you *will* be re-using your old compressor head manifold - *no* replacement compressors (new, rebuilt, whatever) come with the mainfold on it even if the photos in the descriptions show them as being with one (called deceptive advertising). Telling you that so you are aware that you still have to get that port fixed. Get the cores (same part both ports) from O'Reilly's. The other stores (Advance, Autozone) except maybe NAPA don't carry them - they sell kits (Four Season, Sanpro) that supposedly contain the right ones, but they lie - it might take a little time to identify the right one at NAPA, however the right ones do have a distinctive appearance from all the others.

But here's where to get them: O'Reilly's - Murray brand part no. 59347 - $2-$3 ea.
(http://300mclub.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 23#p276423)

(If you find the manifold is messed up (core threads mangled, or you can't get the remainder of the core out, or whatever), try to get a manifold from any junk yard 3.2/3.5 LH car.)

I might suggest getting the Denso brand new compressor from Advance (P/N 471-0266). With all these aftermarket companies changing names, disappearing, and popping back up with other names, etc., I felt more secure going with the Denso. They are listed but not stocked in Advance's system (the listing says "ordered from the factory"), so allow a week or so for it to come in.

I got my local Advance to knock the price down equivalent to an on-line discount code which brought the price down not too far from the unknown-brand-name-of-the-week brands (Tough One is this week's) - not sure if they all would do that or if it was manager's discretion. But I guess you could order it on line for home delivery with the discount codes and free shipping.
 #287685  by mnitetrain

02SilverSpecial wrote:I have it down to about 4 hours. The hardest part is breaking open the hvac box and getting the dash out. It is NOT a 1 person job, one person on each side, wobble extensions for the upper dash bolts, and patients.

I need to replace my compressor. Swapped out the drier (Advance sent me the T83104, which is about 2 inches shorter than the 83104, so coolant flow was shortened) last night, and when we evacuated the system and refilled it, the low pressure port valve decided it wanted to see what the inside of the compressor looked like.... Long story short, the compressor (CENSORED) the bed... Now I have repalced the EVAP, drier(And will be replacing it again tomorrow), Compressor... Maybe I should just replace the condenser too(Just can't find one in stock!)
Was going to call and see how you made out, I guess you answered my question. Sorry to hear that. Need the guage set give me a holler and another pair of hands if you guys need.

Thanks again, mine is still blowing ice chunks.
 #287687  by Shadowvox6

Food for thought here....I now know that my High Speed Fan Relay was on the fritz for a while before my Evap decided to fail.
Maybe the pressure increase caused by improper cooling of the condenser lead to the failure of the Evap??