Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • A few hours with my new toy...Mr. Porter Cable

• Maybe we should have called this the Zaino forum
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

Maybe we should have called this the Zaino forum

Moderator: Moderators

#256321  by grayslater

A few weeks ago I was out spring cleaning my Special "The Reaper" and noticed some cloudy patches on the paint when applying the claybar. Thought that the bars may have been bad sitting over the winter?? I stopped there with the claybaring and added wax. Much of what I saw disappeared with the application but knowing they were there, I could still see the imperfections in the paint.

Last year I had taken the car in be polished and spent quite a bit of time removing polish from the car and from the cracks afterwards. Said to myself I wouldn't take it there again for the price. There was still quite a bit of spider webbing and imperfections in the paint.

I spent the evening researching products and reviewing videos on youtube. I then purchased the Porter Cable 7424XP and the Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System.

It was a beautiful day to be out in the garage and working on the car. Had to make some efforts to get the car ready for Indianapolis in a couple of weeks. I hope to have the other items added next weekend. :)

Below are some pictures of the items purchased and some fruits of my labor.
The Meguiars compound didn't come off as easy at first as it had indicated or as shown in the demonstation video I watched. But I did learn to work with the cutting compound a little more until it broke down.

I'm definitely happy with the results. If my wife can see a difference, it has to be a major improvement. :)
There's not a spot on the car where you can't see a reflection of something. Not to mention the spot the was below the fuel door. The prior owner must have let the cap dangle up against the fender and there was a noticable area there. You wouldn't even notice it now.

I actually purchased the 6" kit. The 5" kit may have been better but was sold out at the time.
IMG_0031.JPG
I can't stop looking at this!! :)
IMG_0040.jpg
Image doesn't do it justice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 #256322  by DaleFicken

What was the cost of the porter cable unit and the kit you bought.. how about a link to the youtube video you watched..

Did you still have to clay the car or did this replace that process?
 #256323  by grayslater

DaleFicken wrote:What was the cost of the porter cable unit and the kit you bought.. how about a link to the youtube video you watched..

Did you still have to clay the car or did this replace that process?
$119 for the Porter Cable from Amazon.com
Mequiars Kit was $99 before shipping from autogeek.com. ($10 cheaper for the 5" kit.) The same location I found the video.
Forgot to mention, I will probably only get two usages out of the cutting compound. The finisher wax was very easy to remove and will get many usages with it.

You're supposed to claybar if necessary before using this product. It was not necessary as my paint was pretty well taken care of.
 #256325  by grayslater

DaleFicken wrote:The Porter Cable is a DA unit?
That would be correct.
 #256328  by DaleFicken

Looking for one now:) I think that will be my upgrade:) the paint has lots of swirls..
 #256337  by jim2891

That sure looks slick, so slick I doubt the bugs will even stick to the front of it when you hit them (although from what I've seen I have doubts that you ever have bugs on the front of your M). I hate hitting bugs with the car but as I work evenings, it's either dark when I go in or dark when I come home so I manage to eradicate about a million bugs a year.
 #256339  by grayslater

SPAD3 wrote:Wanna do mine next? :D
Didn't you repaint yours, Josh?
Just a FYI for anyone else looking at this, it is for factory paint only.
 #256340  by DaleFicken

Will it strip off paint if it's not factory.. I know the hood on mine is newer and was sprayed.. I think it is a new hood that had never been painted before.. same with with the bumper cover..hmm.
 #256342  by grayslater

DaleFicken wrote:Looking for one now:) I think that will be my upgrade:) the paint has lots of swirls..
Trouble spots I went over twice, like the hood. After priming the pad, I felt as though I was using too much of the product on the first half of the car. Removal was much more labor intensive than shown in the video. Not to mention, they weren't near doing a 2'x2' section either. But by the time I got to the trunk I was getting a better feel for using the DA and the amount product needed.

Let me also mention that you'll need plenty of microfiber towels for removing the products. Most for the first round of cutting compound. As for the second step, I've never waxed a car so fast. As with the compound I was removing product after every panel, cleaning the pad, and moving on to the next. With the finisher wax, I was able to do the whole car and then go back and remove.

I'll have to take another weekend and do the wife's 2004 sometime after Indy. By the time I finish hers, the products will have paid for themselves as compared to having someone paid to do this.
 #256343  by grayslater

DaleFicken wrote:Will it strip off paint if it's not factory.. I know the hood on mine is newer and was sprayed.. I think it is a new hood that had never been painted before.. same with with the bumper cover..hmm.
Not sure, Dale. I'm just repeating what I remembered hearing from the video. That it was designed for factory paint. Is factory paint harder?? Normally you'd take 3 moderate passes followed by 3 light passes. Maybe that could be altered for other paint?? Better do some further researching on that.
 #256347  by BMac

A little tip... I place my PC with foam pad on top of the microfibre towel to remove the compound or wax. Quick, easy (saves your muscles for hoisting the beer after) and I think it gives it an extra little buff, which helps the shine.
 #256384  by paintballdude05

BMac wrote:A little tip... I place my PC with foam pad on top of the microfibre towel to remove the compound or wax. Quick, easy (saves your muscles for hoisting the beer after) and I think it gives it an extra little buff, which helps the shine.
That's a good tip!

Now that my Special is almost completely back together, I have to get ready to do the same thing to my car. It's not as bad because it's a silver car, but still! Your results look really good.
 #256386  by Arved

Looks fantastic. I've wanted a PC for years. Sounds like you found a good deal! Congrats!
 #256508  by grayslater

Well, hopefully after Indy I can have some of the guys comfirm the results.
 #256510  by monte4

I've been looking at this machine also. Looks to be the best you can buy for a DIY'er. They've got package deals on it with pads and polishing products at Autopia. I've been using the polishes and waxes from them but without the machine for a while with good results, but didn't know anyone who'd bought the Cable Porter. Your car looks great!
 #256513  by M-Pressive

grayslater wrote:Well, hopefully after Indy I can have some of the guys comfirm the results.
Hopefully Carlisle too :D
 #276479  by monte4

Last fall my mechanic asked me what to use on his car (a black Toyota Avalon). I'd seen the car and it was full of minor scratches and swirl marks. I told him he'd need a machine because it was beyond hand polishing. I recommended the Porter Cable so he bought a kit from Autopia. He said the car came out like new (I haven't seen it since he did it). Yesterday I mentioned that I had a couple of scratches on the roof of the 300 so he pulls out his kit from behind the counter and hands it to me to take home and try. I've tried polishing out these scratches by hand with no luck. I have the proper polish (Sonus 3 step) but lacked the machine. Well holy cow, 5 minutes with the Porter Cable and my polish and the scratches were gone. I'm hooked, I just ordered a complete kit. Comes with the Porter Cable random orbital machine, Five 6" pads of my choice (different color pad for amount of cut or just polishing and waxing), pad cleaner and conditioner, a couple of polishing cloths. I also ordered a couple of spot pads (4" just for doing small areas like a scratch). You can also use the smaller pads for headlights, tail lights. Again you have your choice of colors for amount of cut. The whole kit was on sale plus they gave me the first 5 pads for free. I can't wait to try it on my truck which is dark red and has lots of fine swirl marks on it from the winter.