Gotta Poll, post it here

Moderator: Moderators

"SRT8 Wheels" or "SRT8 DESIGN Wheels" ?

SRT8 300 Wheels
18%
SRT8 Design Wheels
82%
 #260187  by 02SpecialM

Hello I am trying to make a final decision on a new wheel choice for my 2002 Special. If given the choice and equal cost which would you prefer? The SRT8 Wheels or the SRT8 Design Wheels?
 #260197  by Bill Putney

Maybe post some example pics - prefereably not just the wheels but the wheels mounted on M's - to help us visualize?
 #260199  by 02SpecialM

Excellent suggestion Bill. I will contact the members that have these wheels to get permission to use their pictures.........
 #260200  by dmondeac

I kinda like the SRT Design wheels on the LH.
 #260210  by LUNAT1C

Check my signature thread in the Members Pictures forum for SRT Design (SRT8 Design is a typo!) on a Special.

Members with SRT Design:
LUNAT1C
grayslater
mabraham

Members with SRT8:
SPAD3
300_brat (sp?)

It depends on what sort of look you're going for. SRT8 is 1" wider and pretty much requires 255/35/20 to look right, though you can use the same size on SRTD (I will when the time comes for new tires... it's approaching). SRT8 also has 10 spokes and "SRT" molded into one of them.

SRTD has 12 spokes, with an indent following the center of each spoke, painted the same color as the spoke windows.

SRTD is classier and the best way of getting 20" Special wheels.
 #260237  by LUNAT1C

I think we know my preference... :D

#260242  by 02SpecialM

"Anyone chiming in with either of these type of wheels could you tell me the size and brand of tires that you chose to put on the rims ??????"
 #260255  by grayslater

245/35/20 on the SRTDs and would use them again.
More tire availability in this size, more options all weather options in this size, and physically lighter. The SRTDs alone are nearly the weight of the OEM wheel.
 #260285  by LUNAT1C

245/35/20 currently.

Next set 255/35/20. I'm finding some tires are cheaper in this size than the smaller size (and others are the other way around). I'm doing it in the hopes of reducing fractures. I had three in the space of 9 months!
 #260308  by grayslater

LUNAT1C wrote:245/35/20 currently.

Next set 255/35/20. I'm finding some tires are cheaper in this size than the smaller size (and others are the other way around). I'm doing it in the hopes of reducing fractures. I had three in the space of 9 months!
What tire pressure are you using, Robert?
 #260314  by LUNAT1C

I try to maintain 35psi.
 #260320  by grayslater

LUNAT1C wrote:I try to maintain 35psi.
Do you think it's possible that this may be part of the problem? I can only image the rough ride you're having at that psi. After having a discussion with Stan about tire pressures in his 300C, I dropped my then 34 psi to 30 and saw slight increase in comfort of ride.

I try to monitor my tire pressure and tire tread frequently. Can't complain of any real tire wear with the tire pressures mentioned. Either that, or the Toyo Proxe 4s are an awesome tire. Hopefully a combination of both. :)
 #260327  by LUNAT1C

grayslater wrote:
Do you think it's possible that this may be part of the problem? I can only image the rough ride you're having at that psi. After having a discussion with Stan about tire pressures in his 300C, I dropped my then 34 psi to 30 and saw slight increase in comfort of ride.

I try to monitor my tire pressure and tire tread frequently. Can't complain of any real tire wear with the tire pressures mentioned. Either that, or the Toyo Proxe 4s are an awesome tire. Hopefully a combination of both. :)
At this PSI, I'm noticing extra wear on my shoulders on some tires... but then I'm not convinced that the Nankang Ultra-Sport NS-II is a good tire, lol.
 #260331  by 02SpecialM

There seems to be a trend toward the 255-35-20 size from the 245-35-20 size. Are there any particular reasons for this......? Also, is there any problem getting the 255-35-20 size onto the SRT8 Design Wheels?
 #260346  by grayslater

LUNAT1C wrote:
grayslater wrote:

At this PSI, I'm noticing extra wear on my shoulders on some tires... but then I'm not convinced that the Nankang Ultra-Sport NS-II is a good tire, lol.
Have you ever had a 4-wheel alignment done since using the SRTDs?
 #260366  by LUNAT1C

grayslater wrote: Have you ever had a 4-wheel alignment done since using the SRTDs?
At least the front wheels were done a couple of months ago after having the front struts replaced I think all four were done, but I never got a printout. The body shop commented in January that one was needed. This is just one tire balding on the shoulders... the one on the driver's side front wheel has less of this wear. The rears seem to be wearing evenly, although one is much newer than any of the others (had a sidewall lump a year ago).

I'm considering calling the shop that did the work and having them supply me the printout because the steering wheel is still cocked over to the left a bit, and it still pulls to the right just a smidge (after a hundred feet or so on a smooth road, but on some roads it holds straight for a thousand feet).
02SpecialM wrote:There seems to be a trend toward the 255-35-20 size from the 245-35-20 size. Are there any particular reasons for this......? Also, is there any problem getting the 255-35-20 size onto the SRT8 Design Wheels?
Most people with SRT8 wheels will install the 255 width tires since SRT8 (20"x9") wheels are 1" wider than SRTD (20"x8"). This results in the smaller width tire rolling in a bit on the sidewall when used on a wider wheel. To compensate, the wider 255 is used.

There is no reason I can think of for why a 255 won't fit on an SRTD wheel. It's a question of how it looks, which is the only thing that concerns me at this point.
 #260503  by 300M_Brat

Believe it or not... Even though I have the SRT8's, I like the look better of the SRT Design. They look like the wheels that should have been on the special IMO. But I couldn't pass up the $500 price tag on the SRT8's I currently have.

As far as tire size I think it's pretty well established that the 245's are not wide enough for the SRT8's. I had the 245's for a day before I took them back due to the side wall roll. The ride was horrible too. So I have the 255's now on my SRT8's and they ride as well as my factory 18" Special wheels.