Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • DO NOT USE QUICK STRUTS

• Discussions on suspension & steering repairs or upgrades.
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

Discussions on suspension & steering repairs or upgrades.

Moderator: Moderators

#357460  by Countachqv

They are not unsafe from my experience. At least not yet. Althought my issues on 2 pairs are with nuts torquing not in specs and they keep "klonking". This occurs after several month from new. then again several months after retorquing but this time I am not sure what the issue is as the new "klonk" sounds different from the initial "klonk", and more as something under stress when park manouvering.

Note that the units I got are post 2014 and thoses do not show to me to date the prior mount issues noted by others here.

I expect these cheap devices designed in a john put together in a hurry to last no more than 5 months. And these are the so called Blue good ones. the funny thing is that one day I went to a monroe shop for those and I got lectured that they recommend struts to be replaced with tires as struts are no good past 50K miles. First time I ever heard that. Now I know excatly why! Frequent change = warranty avoidance for garbage. Welcome to the happy ownership of Monroes struts!
 #357471  by EasyRider300M

so what is a good non-monroe, non oem strut that will last dependably for at least 50k miles.
 #357472  by Countachqv

EasyRider300M wrote:so what is a good non-monroe, non oem strut that will last dependably for at least 50k miles.
well, I guess anything that is not made by Monroe.
Null liked this
 #357473  by 300maximilien

Ekim401 wrote:Could someone give me more info on the washer? Maybe a picture?

Shop installed quick struts and I'm starting to get popping when parked, cutting the wheel.
I drilled quarters of the washer fix...
 #357486  by skinnyg

I put the blue Monroes (ecomatic)on about a month ago and they are cool so far, the blue ones are what a few guys say they are NOT having a problem with. If they clunk I will retorque them, maybe try the washer trick, if not Ill put a Mopar mount in, they are just so rediculously expensive to build a set of OE struts
 #357490  by Countachqv

skinnyg wrote:I put the blue Monroes (ecomatic)on about a month ago and they are cool so far, the blue ones are what a few guys say they are NOT having a problem with. If they clunk I will retorque them, maybe try the washer trick, if not Ill put a Mopar mount in, they are just so rediculously expensive to build a set of OE struts
Well, many did say the blue are no issues.. not my experience. They do work but get noisy as heck when parking. I am sure they dont all fail but I got 2 sets 2014 and 2015 and both had the same problem.

See, the entire point of quick strut for me is NOT to have to tinker around with them. Having to do this and that is a bon.. killer. Might as well built it from parts and get something that last.

So far I got good luck with my rear KYB quick struts. I may attempt the front as well.
 #357492  by skinnyg

countachqv wrote:
skinnyg wrote:I put the blue Monroes (ecomatic)on about a month ago and they are cool so far, the blue ones are what a few guys say they are NOT having a problem with. If they clunk I will retorque them, maybe try the washer trick, if not Ill put a Mopar mount in, they are just so rediculously expensive to build a set of OE struts
Well, many did say the blue are no issues.. not my experience. They do work but get noisy as heck when parking. I am sure they dont all fail but I got 2 sets 2014 and 2015 and both had the same problem.

See, the entire point of quick strut for me is NOT to have to tinker around with them. Having to do this and that is a bon.. killer. Might as well built it from parts and get something that last.

So far I got good luck with my rear KYB quick struts. I may attempt the front as well.
You're right, but it's just so damn expensive to do ALL Mopar. I just can't justify it. I work at a shop, so if it starts popping I'll pull it out, put it in the spring compressor machine and plop a mopar mount in there, stick it back in, no prob. It was the driver side that guys were swapping right?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
 #357606  by KxWarrior

Just providing my input on a quickstrut brand that has about 30k miles on my car. KYB's Strut-Plus brand has held well (the mounts are usually the problem), no clunking, no pops, nothing. I love them. I'm not sure if they're still sold on rockauto, but they were parts # KYB SR4061 and SR4060 if anyone wants to look for them. They are higher up on the price scale, but definitely worth the extra change.

edit - Just found them on rockauto for $160 roughly a side.
 #357607  by skinnyg

That's not a bad price really for a whole quick strut. I have Monre blue ecomatic and still no noise. Tool about a month for them to soften up, I'm used to the squishy Concorde softness, they are much stiffer, probably the springs mostly as they are made to fit 300m and Intrepid too. I kept the old struts with the stock springs. But no noise, I replaced everything else when I did them, and I mean everything, sway links and bushings, lower arms, strut rods and bushings, cradle mounts, outer tie rods, inners already done a year ago. It's so smooth on the interstate you look down and are doing 100and it feels like 30mph.

#357639  by Ekim401

Which bolt is it that needs to be re-torqued? I've never touched my suspension, so if someone has a picture and could circle it in mspaint or something?
 #357642  by skinnyg

The top strut nut, pop the hood, there's a cap in the center of 3 nuts, pop that off and there's the nut, you may not be able to do it without the special tool though. 70ft lbs

#357649  by Ekim401

Thanks man! Anyone have any info on the special tool?

Edit: I know I should just go back to the shop, but I have a feeling they won't be trying a washer...and I'll have to go back every month.
 #357652  by skinnyg

80863209.gif

1 - SPRING COMPRESSOR
2 - SPECIAL TOOL 6864
3 - UPPER MOUNT

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 #357939  by Tim_ettinger

I use a Kobalt pass-through socket from Lowe's.
 #357960  by MunchMan

Buy a M14 (14mm) grade 8 washer, for each side that has the Monroe struts. I think 9/16" fits better, but I couldn't find it in stores; zinc coating is better for rust prevention. I did this for my Sensa-Tracs and it is much quieter. Before, it broke the bottom of the OEM bearing out and made a bunch of noise, as you described.

You don't even need to remove the strut, just pop the cap off as mentioned and remove the 21mm center nut. Put the washer between the mount and the nut and re-torque to 70 ft. lbs. I bought a strut nut tool from ECS tuning for $20 and it works great! It says it is for Volkswagen, but it works fine on the M.
 #358011  by Tim_ettinger

I picked up the KYB version of the quickstruts today. I'm going to pull the Moogs off and rebuild them with factory strut mounts and set them aside. After dealing with the endless rattle, I will know what the deal is.

I tried the washer trick you are talking about, and it didn't work. I checked the top nut torque and it was always right.

When you say it broke the bottom of the bearing out, do you mean it punched a hole in the metal? That happened to me and things haven't been the same since then (had to drive on it like that to get out of the woods to find civilization).
 #358042  by Tim_ettinger

FYI - the springs on the Moog struts are definitely bigger then the KYB struts. Bigger as in diameter of the metal. I think that will translate into a softer ride. As long as there is no rattle or broken upper mount, that is fine with me.
 #359219  by MunchMan

tim_ettinger wrote:I picked up the KYB version of the quickstruts today. I'm going to pull the Moogs off and rebuild them with factory strut mounts and set them aside. After dealing with the endless rattle, I will know what the deal is.

I tried the washer trick you are talking about, and it didn't work. I checked the top nut torque and it was always right.

When you say it broke the bottom of the bearing out, do you mean it punched a hole in the metal? That happened to me and things haven't been the same since then (had to drive on it like that to get out of the woods to find civilization).
No, the plastic on the bearing broke and fell down towards the center. To break the metal mount, I would have no words to describe :shock: You must have hit a huge hole to do that!
 #363763  by RicoNextLevel

Any one familiar with the Detroit Axle Brand Struts... it's a axle place in Michigan selling ball joints hub bearings etc...I really can't afford OEM right at the moment. Any words on them from Detroit axle?
 #364199  by skinnyg

So the drivers side started to clunk, well about a month ago, its been about 6-7k and 9 months. They are the blue ecomatic. The drivers side nut I turned about 3/4 around till it started to get snug, wasnt finger loose or anything but I was suprised at how loose it was. The passenger side felt tight so I didnt mess with it. Didnt clunk in the parking spot turning the wheel from lock to lock but I havent driven it, hopefully that took care of it. It really felt like I could have cranked it down more, like there is more thread there, like it wasnt bottomed out. So Ill see what happens. If I have to put a mopar mount in it then Im gonna put my Concorde softy springs back in the front.