• Gotta Poll, post it here
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

Gotta Poll, post it here

Moderator: Moderators

If you use Autostick, can you also drive a manual shift

I use A/S and can also drive a manual.
63%
I use A/S but don't know how to drive a manual.
12%
I don't use A/S but I do know how to drive a manual.
25%
I don't use A/S and I don't know how to drive a manual.
No votes
0%
 #287312  by JTROANOKE

LUNAT1C wrote:
I'm having a hard time understanding why anyone would believe A/S would be harmfull to any transaxle or transmission. There are safeguards in the programming that prevent people from ruining their trans and engine because they don't know how to use it.
main ways it can be harmful -

Forcing a downshift when conditions are not conducive to an automatic downshift - especially if your foot isn't down pretty far on the gas and the weight of the vehicle and the transmission are what is speeding up the engine, rather than throttle and fuel delivery. In a manual tranny car typically you would slip the clutch a little more to ease this transmission, but the clutch packs in a automatic are going to grab pretty quickly and shock the driveline.

More shifts than the transmission would normally perform on it's own. Clutch packs have wear surfaces in them that have a finite life. Each shift wears a small amount off of these wear surfaces. More shifts, more wear, ......

Not saying that everyone who uses AutoStick creates these conditions, but the liklihood is there. I would guess that the majority of the people who drive in AutoStick, use the transmission to slow the car when approaching a traffic light to some degree. Might save wear on the brakes, but I can do a brake job in an hour for very little money. I can't rebuild/replace a tranny in an hour, and there is significantly more coin involved.
The only thing I use Autostick for is for cruise control in hilly country. don't like it downshifting out of overdrive every time I go down a hill. I would rather let the speed creep up a little, but my pcm likes to downshift too quickly to slow the car on a downhill. The only other thing I use it for is to start in second in snow.
 #287313  by Bill Putney

LUNAT1C wrote:...I'm having a hard time understanding why anyone would believe A/S would be harmfull to any transaxle or transmission. There are safeguards in the programming that prevent people from ruining their trans and engine because they don't know how to use it.
It depends totally on how it's used as John said. A few years ago, someone posted that they had loaned their M to their bro-in-law or some other relative, and the guy didn't understand autostick (or apparently much of anything else either), put the shifter into A/S the whole time he drove it and didn't know he was supposed to shift it. The engine was ruined. You could say that it was a coincidence, but I have no trouble believeing it wasn't with the history of bearing problems on these engines. I mean, you drive it around and hold 5500 to 5900 rpms all the time, that's going to definitely take a toll.

As stated in a similar discussion a few months ago, I use A/S for keeping speed below ticket level on rolling hills (in combination with the brakes on steeper hills to reduce brake wear), mainly in town. Also a way to casually bleed some energy off if a cop appears and you suddenly realize you're pushing the speed limit a little more than is comfortable without grabbing his attention with your brake lights
 #287322  by Tarheel

jayman2 wrote:
tarheel wrote:
Maximus wrote:That's exactly how I feel, no issues with trans, but if I started using auto stick something would break.
Why do you think "something would break"? :?
In my case, I feel that since I've been lucky with my trans all of this time, if I began to have tranny problems I would not be able NOT to think that I caused it by a lot of shifting the trans. And I realize that this may not be the case. Something may have been failing all along, but since I'd been messing with the trans, I would never know for sure.

By me not regularly using autostick, if I ever do develop trans problems, I'll at least have the peace of mind knowing that my autostick use didn't cause it. I would love to have a 4 or 5 speed stick shift in my M. 8)
You don't think you could destroy an engine or transmission if you had a manual transmission?
 #287327  by jayman2

tarheel wrote: You don't think you could destroy an engine or transmission if you had a manual transmission?
I imagine it's possible that it could happen. I'm not saying that I think these cars shouldn't be autostick shifted. My point with my M is the AGE of the vehicle. As far as I know, it's still the original trans. I don't know how much time is left on my trans so I don't see the point in pressing my luck with the autostick. Like I said earlier, I do use it sometimes in the snow, pulling off in 2nd gear. Other than that, I don't really need it. I think it's cool that I have it.
 #287503  by TLCMET

Maximus wrote:Well, in auto stick you tend to think you are superman. So you manually go through the gears and almost hit the red line on each shift then bam, bang, there goes a rod bearing.

Or you constantly keep shifting through the gears and the heavy down shfting beats the snot out of the tranny.

Or you just shift way too many times with auto stick because you think its cool and with over 140,000 on the trans its just way too many time it would have shifted then in auto mode.

Yes I used it when I bought the car new. Probably used it for the first 2 year then never used it again. At this point I would not even try to use it. I need to baby my car, cant afford another one. But thats just me. Maybe most of you this car as a beater who knows.
I'll actually use it a lot here in NJ, but to prevent it from shifting more than necessary than it would in D. I'm always in stop and go traffic on the Parkway going to or from work, so I'll use it to hold second gear when I can see I'll be speeding up to a point where it will shift in D to third (15mph) but then slowing right back down to where it would shift back to second. I'll also use it in parking lots and other places where it might do a lot of 1-2-3-2-1 shifting in D, where in A/S I can mostly keep it in second.
 #287515  by clcreager

Auto Stick option was put there for a reason gents. Use it, its like having a sleeper. Some of these little tune guys are annoying and when they see you "shift" through the genes they back off. Really like the option when passing slow drivers.
 #287531  by TrueBlue

I only used mine on steep grades or, the best - in the snow. Keeping it in a lower gear to be able to deliver instantaneous power to the wheels can save your bacon.
 #287532  by beespecial

Well, I guess my question was answered. I thought that the ability/inability to drive a manual transmission may have an influence on whether or not someone would use autostick. From the responses of the poll, it looks like the majority of respondents do know how to drive a stick. So, for the purposes of this very un-scientific poll I'm going to conclude that it doesn't make a difference if you know how or not because most do know how.
 #287534  by Tarheel

clcreager wrote:Auto Stick option was put there for a reason gents. Use it, its like having a sleeper. Some of these little tune guys are annoying and when they see you "shift" through the genes[/i] they back off. Really like the option when passing slow drivers.

What are you talking about, who are the "little tune guys" and what is "shift through the genes"? :?
 #287538  by TrueBlue

I'm guessing "little tuner guys" (i.e. imports) and "shift through the gears," although if I powershifted a chromosome or three people would back away from me, too.

"SRT?"
"Nah, DNA"
 #287542  by clcreager

Typing on a tablet. Sorry for the misspelled words.
 #287543  by beespecial

TrueBlue wrote:...although if I powershifted a chromosome or three people would back away from me, too.
You bet! :wink:
 #287548  by Bill Putney

clcreager wrote:Typing on a tablet. Sorry for the misspelled words.
I think having spell check is worse than not having it on iPads, iPods, etc. On my iPad, I spend half the time fighting spell check when it insists on changing something that is spelled correctly.
 #287576  by 300maximilien

I remember a story here about a guy that loaned out his M to a family member and they proceeded to drive around in A/S without shifting gears!!! So unless they hit redline the car never changed gears!! I forgot what the damage was??
 #287580  by Bill Putney

300maximilien wrote:I remember a story here about a guy that loaned out his M to a family member and they proceeded to drive around in A/S without shifting gears!!! So unless they hit redline the car never changed gears!! I forgot what the damage was??
I mentioned the same story on the previous page of this thread. My recollection is that the engine was ruined (I have to assume main bearings). We must search and find the original thread - otherwise, we're starting a site myth. :) I've tried searching for it before, but it's hard to come up with some good key words that will narrow the search down from the hundreds of threads that talk about autostick.
 #287585  by Bill Putney

Yep - that's it.

While developing the Puttstick, I inadvertently discovered that if you ground either or both shift wires before moving the shifter to A/S position, the TCM (or PCM in later years) will lock out A/S behavior (until it is moved out of and back into A/S with the ground removed) - IOW, it will continue to shift automatically as if you still had the shifter in the Drive position (i.e., it also doesn't respond to manual up/downshift commands).

So some have put a hidden switch under the dash to ground one of those wires when leaving the car for any servicing or otherwise loaning the car out to protect it from intentional or unintentional abuse using A/S - someone dubbed it "valet switch", so that's what i call it.
 #289504  by 5speedz34

I know how to drive a manual transmission.

Having said that, I use A/S somewhat regularly usually when passing people or driving "spirited." I changed the fluid in my transmission shortly after I did the headgasket job. I'm pretty sure it was never done in 127k. I've had no issues with the transmission aside from the occasional slam into 2nd or 3rd gear when I'm going around a traffic circle. Basically I come up to a yield. Tap the brakes and hit the gas, it downshifts and then slams hard into the next gear. It's done this probably 3 times in 17k miles that I've put on the car. Fluid still looks pink and doesn't smell too bad. Planning on changing it before winter and putting a synthetic Amsoil fluid in.

As for using A/S it's unfortunately nothing like a manual transmission. My trans just doesn't shift that quick, LOL. I do downshift to slow down, but usually never go above 3500 RPM's when I do. I also try not to bounce it off the rev limiter, our cars just don't make that much power above 5k and I don't need to waste my bearings. I do drive it hard though sometimes. I'm probably paranoid but I do feel like my motor makes a little more noise from the bottom end than I'd like but I generally baby it. If the motor goes, I'll just yank it out and replace it. These cars are fairly easy to work on.
 #291052  by madrussian

I use Autostick exclusively as I don't like the 2nd to 3rd, or 3rd to 4th shifting points in auto mode. I have driven the Special this way for well over four years, and have never had an issue. The shifts are crisp and clean. I was told by a mechanic that due to the crisp, quick shifts with autostick, there is actually less wear on the internal tranny components due to less slippage, which will mean a longer service life.
 #291260  by Chrysler1924

Dumb question, but do you all remove your foot from the accelerator momentarily when you tap A/S to shift? Or do you keep your foot steady on the gas? My habit from driving a stick would be to remove my foot before having the trans shift. But I guess such a thing doesn't matter when it's in auto mode...