Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Sparky99's 2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ -Stone White

• A place to talk about your non-LH current or former vehicles.
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

A place to talk about your non-LH current or former vehicles.

Moderator: Moderators

#327891  by sparky99

the hard top you can see in the last pic came without a rear window. that's how I've run it most of the winter, normally i'd run a soft top in the winter, but with the little one i'm trying to make it better for winter time driving.
little background:
top was bought at my favorite yard for the low sum of 200 bucks, the jeep this top was on was creamed into a pole or tree, so the top is cracked in 3 or 4 places and was missing the rear window, wiper, and hinges. I ended up picking up a new set of replacement hinges for 60 bucks for the pair, and seeing that the top was not perfect, I ended up picking up a piece of plexiglass to cut out in the shape of the rear glass.
I used a die grinder with a cutoff wheel. I think it turned out decent. I do need to get the seal for the bottom of the glass for the tailgate to hold it closed.
 #327892  by sparky99

ImageImage
 #333972  by sparky99

been working on a "special" project for the jeep. it made it's way back into the garage and I've decided to not move it out until its "finished"

anyways, about 2 years ago I had this idea, to build a utility trailer fit for pulling behind the jeep. well, one thing led to another and I ended up buying a jeep tub (body from firewall back) and cut it in half and i'm building a jeep trailer, will be on 35" tires just like the jeep, will have same amount of height as my jeep. it has been a pain sitting idle on this for 2 years, but I have a bunch of stuff i'm working on not to mention the other vehicles I work on as well.
for the past 2 years, I've been very slowly gathering parts, steel and what else is needed for the completion of this project and I have almost everything needed to complete. so, i'm hoping that by the end of august it will be titled, and towable as a functional utility trailer.
I will have to get some pictures of the process up for everyone to see..
 #333973  by sparky99

when i got the tub home

there was some damage to the driver side (was crashed)

then i went back out there a couple of days later and picked up the frame, i believe it is an 03 and newer tj? not too sure

I pulled the dash and some of the other junk out, the wire harness was still in the jeep but was cut or damaged somehow. so i cut it out as well.

i then cut out the embossed "jeep" out of the sides of the tub so i can incorporate them into the trailer.

then was the time for the big cut...
i cut it part of the way through the door opening.

and thats where i am sitting now...

i do have the trailer "3 axis trailer coupler/ hitch" done, but i won't put pics up till i have it painted. i should have it done hopefully this weekend.
also, i did pick up the sheet metal to hopefully be able to cap the front and end up with the rough dimensions of the trailer. not sure when that will happen as of yet.
i do want to get out to take a part and get some of the YJ tub they have there to help ease the fab work a bit.
then i will need the metal for the floor, and the metal for the frame to make the tongue and then i need an axle, coils, and control arms.

as of right now, i plan to run stock TJ rear suspension unless i can't find it for cheap.
i have the debate of using a TJ rear end or using a trailer axle. not 100% sure yet... we will see what parts end up at my place..
 #333974  by sparky99

I will update this if anyone here is interested. if not, I can delete... no big deal...
 #333977  by 300MaximuM

sparky99 wrote:I will update this if anyone here is interested. if not, I can delete... no big deal...
I like it
 #334102  by LUNAT1C

Very interesting. I'd like to see it.
 #334272  by sparky99

ok, I have been working on this lightly again, I bought some cheap tail lights for the trailer since i'm trying to build this as cheap as possible. anyways, I've got the wiring laid out under, frame back on, suspension on and its flipped back right side up. I plan to get the tail light holes cut and tail lights in and wired up by the weekend. I also need to get the axle in the garage (out in the back yard) and free up the drums as they are rusted/seized. once the axle is cleaned up, painted with free'd up brakes, I will get it bolted into the suspension. then i'll need to get the tires swapped over to the rims that will go on the trailer.
 #334273  by sparky99

Frame with the "cap"... I will build the tongue off this once the suspension is all on.

As it sits right now...
 #334446  by sparky99

Hope to get the tail lights mounted, and the axle under the trailer this week..
 #334495  by 300maximilien

this is gonna look cool!
 #334535  by sparky99

Got a lil bit of work done today, only had about an hour so I got the tail light holes cut and drilled holes for the rear clearance lights. The tail lights will be tinted before finished.. Image
Then I threw the axle under the trailer... It's not bolted in yet but I will get it cleaned up and bolted in soon...
I feel it's finally starting to take shape...l
 #334598  by sparky99

picked up the tires for the trailer yesterday. they aren't great but will work for a little while so I can save for something better..
 #335961  by sparky99

Went to a jeep show (very small and semi local). while there I ended up picking up some rear corners of a CJ-7 jeep tub to use as the front corners of my trailer. I also picked up the top rail to work from and be able to cap the top edge of the tub.
and also, a couple of weeks ago a buddy of mine was getting rid of a tonneau cover for a ford ranger, I ended up grabbing that for next to free, will modify to fit the length and width of the trailer to help keep contents dry.
its getting close, and once I get the square tube to build the tongue, I will be in full swing to get this on the road.
 #335981  by 00R/T

That's going to be a pretty sweet trailer when it's done!

I chuckled when I saw the snow pic. I'm always inclined to do the same thing. lol

#335990  by sparky99

00R/T wrote:That's going to be a pretty sweet trailer when it's done!

I chuckled when I saw the snow pic. I'm always inclined to do the same thing. lol

thanks!! its been fun collecting the parts for the past (just short of) 3 years.
 #344497  by sparky99

well, winter has wreaked havoc on my garage this past winter. The trailer has been filled with random stuff, toys and junk. I just went and got an outside storage container from Costco, so i can empty out the garage again and get back to work. I'm really excited to get back to work here as I am the rest of my eleventy billion projects.
being a car guy, I have the jeep (project),, Jeep trailer (project), 300m (project upon project)... see, a trend here...
 #344505  by adu1982

Yeah i have the same trend..... Every thing i start takes for ever to finish. Many of mynprojects are at 50-100% rate completion for a while........i dont have a car toy yet..... But that is a future...soon as possible...project...
 #351306  by sparky99

been getting the jeep into winter mode here lately. I've installed the hardtop, put in my carpet (for the 1st time in like 9 years) and also pulled the front seats, I am going to install some new full suspension actual race seats. these have the cutouts for the 5 point harnesses. I'm waiting on a seat track before I install the driver's seat.
 #351307  by sparky99

ImageImage