Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Current situation in Syria

• A place to discuss the politics of the day.
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

A place to discuss the politics of the day.

Moderator: Moderators

#316246  by Croff

So what is your opinion or what do you fellow earthlings think about the current situation in Syria? Should US rush in with the army and do another war so? This might grow to a starting point of World War 3 I think.
 #316249  by Mottman

Exactly what is going on in SYIRIA ? And when did this all start ? Last thing the US needs is to get tangled up in another war !
 #316250  by 300maximilien

Just another excuse for the US to flex it's Military muscle (code for make the rich richer). We should stay out of there just like we should have stayed out of. Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Korea, Vietnam, Somalia...etc....etc.....etc!

Look at this list......just absolutely disgusting IMO. http://www.globalpolicy.org/us-military ... 26024.html
 #316259  by BigMike60

Give the Israelies a "cost + 10% contract" to clean it up and we can just sit back and watch. Famous last/lost words: We will not let Korea develop nuclear weapons.....; ahh...well...we will not allow a nuclear Iran.....; ahh....well the use of chemical weapons in Syria would be crossing a red line....; ahh....well can I get to play with Tiger Woods and do something really important with my bad swing and his bad back? Let the Russians, no, the Saudis, no the UN, no...well anyone else do it, we just do not have the manpower for boots on the ground.
 #316296  by mnitetrain

Wonder how many collateral damage deaths are acceptable on the receiving end of 100's of tomahawk cruise missles and follow up air strikes??

They all can't land in the middle of deserted air fields?? Wouldn't surprise me to find Assad has conveniently placed human shield refugees on all the air strips.

On the other hand I feel Assad is a lame duck having sold his soul to Iran a long time ago. Until Iran goes I don't see anything we or a coalition of willing nations can achieve.

Anyone notice John F Kerry imitation of Colin Powell??

Groundhog day.
 #316299  by Bill Putney

I understand that other countries (France and Great Britain) are encouraging us (the U.S.) to act. Isn't that wonderful. We're going to be the bad guy no matter what we do or don't do. Realizing that, other countries want *us* to do something rather than them doing whatever it is they think *we* ought to do. That way, *we* take the blame. This will be great canon fodder for the hate/blame the U.S. first crowd no matter what we do or don't do - guaranteed.

This is likely another no-win. If we do something and take Assad down, who/what's going to replace him (which Muslim faction, and what kind of Sharia law/Caliphate will they impose?). If we do nothing, who/what's going to replace Assad (which Muslim faction, and what kind of Sharia law/Caliphate will they impose?). Maybe the answer is let them settle it among themselves and protect ourselves to the hilt against whatever threats we face later.
 #316300  by BigMike60

Ah, the human shield trick. Excellent thought on that. Haven't seen that tried in quite a while. If what we do can't be done with bombs and rockets there is nothing left to do it with. Syrian army, although currently pretty well taxed with what it is doing can still probably kick everyone else's butts there except the Israelis. No one else gives a darn or would be willing to step up to the plate. No one else cares what Syria is doing to Syrians, as long as they are not doing it to them. What a mess.
 #316304  by Bill Putney

So Peeter - let's turn this back around on you. What do *you* think we ought to do/not do? :)

Is there any chance that the chemical weapons weren't Assad at all but were a false flag attack to start the domino effect of world opinion and outside action (by the U.S. of course) taking Assad down - done by someone who wants to walk into power after it's all done?
 #316306  by BigMike60

That crossed my mind a number of times too Bill. Nothing like a few martyrs for the cause if it brings the world down on the regime. Who would invite the inspectors in and then use the chemical weapons just as they are arriving? Hmmm?
 #316313  by swalker

They are just going to screw it up like Egypt! Neither side is a good guy so let them fight it out and deal with whoever is left.
 #316316  by LUNAT1C

I've always felt we had zero business in the middle east. Not now in Syria, not recently in Iraq/Iran/Afghanistan/Pakistan, not back with Bush Sr. the first time... I agree with Stan, let them duke it out and if we have to, deal with whoever is left. There is no good side here and as Bill pointed out, there's no winning situation for the US. We're damned if we do for interfering in a conflict that doesn't involve us and damned if we don't for turning a blind eye in spite of pressure from our allies who would rather we got our hands dirty than they their own. The US needs to focus on itself.
 #316320  by 300maximilien

The US oil companies are what made the Middle East what it is today. We are to blame for all the instability. We have placed regimes in control over the years that WE wanted in play. Of course once they got the billions in financial aid in hand and had their oil businesses set up they felt they didn't need us any more.

Here is how to fix the issues over there. Destroy all military hardware that has been sold to them over the last 50-60 years (Including the Israelis stuff) and leave them all as we found them! Then let them play out their own history the same way they have done for thousands of years.

This would never happen of course.
 #316326  by jayman2

It's been stated many times that we will never see peace in the middle east! There are just too many different factions involved. And then here we are, all over the map playing puppet master, deciding which sides to arm and fund. I believe it was the late Russian premier, Nikita Khrushchev who asked the question, "who made the USA the policemen of the world". The question I ask myself is, when WE become involved in OUR next civil war (which is imminent due to our failing economy and the general breaking down of our society), which of these countries is going to come to our aid, and which side will they choose?

I was in a taxi cab one day and the driver was a foreigner. We were talking and he mentioned to me that he had been to many different countries around the world and that the USA is one of the most hated countries in the world.
 #316329  by LUNAT1C

jayman2 wrote:I was in a taxi cab one day and the driver was a foreigner. We were talking and he mentioned to me that he had been to many different countries around the world and that the USA is one of the most hated countries in the world.

Depends on his definition of "around the world". Some countries love us, and probably as many countries hate us. Much of the middle east probably falls in the latter, as well as communist states like Cuba, North Korea, China, etc.

One thing is for sure, we're not the world police. We can't keep acting like it.
 #316331  by jayman2

LUNAT1C wrote:
jayman2 wrote:I was in a taxi cab one day and the driver was a foreigner. We were talking and he mentioned to me that he had been to many different countries around the world and that the USA is one of the most hated countries in the world.

Depends on his definition of "around the world". Some countries love us, and probably as many countries hate us. Much of the middle east probably falls in the latter, as well as communist states like Cuba, North Korea, China, etc.

One thing is for sure, we're not the world police. We can't keep acting like it.
I have to agree with you Robert.
 #316378  by JTROANOKE

The time to help them would have been in the very beginning. This one was started by a moderate group of rebels who were looking for democracy. Unfortunately, Terrorists and religious extremists jumped in later on so currently, as a group the rebels are not much better than the current regime. All toppling the current regime would do is turn the different groups of rebels on each other, and it would still be a civil war, just different teams. It would turn from a 2 player battle into a 4-5 way. There is no answer to this one. And by threatening to go after them for weeks, with the media publicly stating that we will go for command and control centers, all that will happen is they will move the command and control centers into schools/churches/ and other heavily populated areas so that we will look bad if we hit them. We are screwed if we do, and screwed if we don't.

How about a congressional resolution, or amendment to the constitution for "No More Undeclared Wars"? Seems like in the last century or so, if we declare war, we win. If we don't we lose.
 #316380  by Adpros

All I can add to these fine comments is how about we sit this one out. I don't see ANY benefit to a military incursion in Syria for the U.S.
 #316391  by 300maximilien

The benefit is that it is big business for the USA..... The war machine employes tens of thousands and makes the rich richer...
 #316401  by Bill Putney

Croff wrote:So what is your opinion or what do you fellow earthlings think about the current situation in Syria? Should US rush in with the army and do another war so? This might grow to a starting point of World War 3 I think.
Bill Putney wrote:So Peeter - let's turn this back around on you. What do *you* think we ought to do/not do? :)...
Come on Peeter - you stirred this pot up. Let's hear your thoughts. :)
 #316422  by beespecial

Let's get the heck out of the middle east, (a.k.a. the butt crack of the world), and tell the countries that have demonstrated that they are actually friends with the US that we will be there for them if necessary and let the rest of those morons over there kill themselves off. All they have ever done for centuries is have wars with each other. The US does NOT need to be the police of the world.