Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • H.R. 3018 - hopefully this bill will fail

• A place to discuss the politics of the day.
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

A place to discuss the politics of the day.

Moderator: Moderators

#316252  by Bill Putney

20% tax on handguns, 50% tax on ammo.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government ... n-Handguns

Interesting that a Constitutional right can be taxed. Wouldn't this violate the rights of the poor and the elderly who can't afford it? Simply requiring someone the "arduous task" of obtaining an ID is considered by some to be a violation of some Constitutional rights, but other rights can be taxed to intentionally make it prohibitive. They say it's to help pay for the extra load on law enforcement. Fair enough. If that's considered OK, then you should agree to put a tax on voting to pay for the cost to government of running the polling locations and all other costs of elections. (Mind you, i'm not for that - I'm just saying that if...then...)

It is called tyranny folks.
 #316253  by Mottman

In NJ they not only make it extremelly difficult to buy firearms. And almost impossible to legally carry, The laws are setup to punish you for ever useing them to defend yourself ! And like sheep. We all just keep letting it happen. Just remember everyone, dictators love unarmed peasants ! :x
 #316254  by EasyRider300M

That's a very unfair and exhorbitant tax. Adversaries to the tax must band together to get this plan voided.

Here in MA they recently passed a tax on computer services. No other type of services are taxed. This tax was put through with very little notice and computer service companies couldn't prepare for it. There is a plan to fight this unfair tax and hopefully get it to a public vote.

I wouldn't be surprised if they pass a a national tax on internet sales at some point.
 #316257  by TrueBlue

This will never pass.

It's like every week a new challenge to the 2A is rolled out.
 #316294  by Mottman

The real problem is the sneaky little rich b#%t#*ds keep trying new, dirty, off the radar, underhanded ways to push these laws through without the public's notice !
 #316298  by Bill Putney

Intermission (received this in an email this morning):

Are you a Democrat, a Republican or a Southern Republican? With
elections coming up, we should all decide. Here is a little test that
may help you decide.

Question: How do you tell the difference between a Democrat, a
Republican and a Southern Republican?

The answer can be found by posing the following question:

You're walking down a deserted street with your wife and two small
children. Suddenly, a dangerous looking man with a huge knife comes
around the corner, locks eyes with you, screams obscenities, raises
the knife, and charges. You are carrying a Glock 40, and you are an
expert shot. You have mere seconds before he reaches you and your
family. What do you do?

Democrat's Answer: Well, that's not enough information to answer the
question! Does the man look poor or oppressed?

Have I ever done anything to him that would inspire him to attack?
Could we run away?

What does my wife think? What about the kids? Could I possibly swing
the gun like a club and knock the knife out of his hand?

What does the law say about this situation?

Does the Glock have appropriate safety built into it?

Why am I carrying a loaded gun anyway, and what kind of message does
this send to society and to my children?

Is it possible he'd be happy with just killing me?

Does he definitely want to kill me, or would he be content just to wound me?

If I were to grab his knees and hold on, could my family get away
while he was stabbing me?

Should I call 9-1-1?

Why is this street so deserted?

We need to raise taxes, have a paint and weed day and make this a
happier, healthier street that would discourage such behavior.

This is all so confusing! I need to debate this with some friends for
a few days and try to come to a consensus.

Republican's Answer: BANG!

Southern Republican's Answer: BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!
BANG! BANG! BANG! click.....(sounds of reloading). BANG! BANG! BANG!
BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! click. Daughter's voice, "Nice
grouping, Daddy! Were those the Winchester Silver Tips??"
dnl_pat liked this
 #316301  by mabraham

I am not very fond of these bills. Seems like a quick and easy way to make up for a poorly run budget that feels good for those against the 2nd amendment as well. People will feel good voting for it too thinking this will have some effect on violent crime or the safety of the community.

What upsets me is how these bills are deceptively titled. This bill is titled "Gun Violence Prevention and Safe Communities Act of 2013." It forces the idea that if you don't support whats in the bill, then you are opposing the prevention of gun violence and safe communities because, because you do not want a tax on handguns and ammunition- which is what the bill really is. I support safe communities and the prevention of gun violence, but not through some ludicrous tax on handguns and ammunition.

The whole idea of a bill like this is based on shoddy logic. If a tax like this doesn't infringe on the 2A, than how come a tax like the poll tax infringes on voters rights?
 #316307  by Bill Putney

mabraham wrote:...If a tax like this doesn't infringe on the 2A, than how come a tax like the poll tax infringes on voters rights?
That was one of my points in my OP. Of course a poll tax would be wrong too.
 #316308  by EasyRider300M

reminds me of this song

#316328  by TrueBlue

mabraham wrote:What upsets me is how these bills are deceptively titled. This bill is titled "Gun Violence Prevention and Safe Communities Act of 2013." It forces the idea that if you don't support whats in the bill, then you are opposing the prevention of gun violence and safe communities because, because you do not want a tax on handguns and ammunition- which is what the bill really is.
Exactly how and what Cuomo rammed though the state senate with only ten minutes to decide, the "Secure Ammunition and Firearm Enforcement Act" - "SAFE". Of course we know that what this does is makes it more difficult for the non-crim sect to get firearms, but to oppose the "SAFE Act" makes it out to be that you hate puppies, children, rainbows, and want to destroy nuns and churches with belt-fed nuclear cannons that have the shoulder thing that goes up.
I support safe communities and the prevention of gun violence, but not through some ludicrous tax on handguns and ammunition.
This.
 #316403  by harrise

At least they tried to butter you up. We just got the, "here it is, suck it up" series of bills.

I've got a compromise on the tax... How about we outlaw the resale of ammunition by private parties and you can raise it by .5%. I can't get my hands on a friggin' thing again. It's in waves so I have to buy tons of whatever caliber is on shelves at the moment. They're missing a lot of revenue by retirees and part timers at sporting goods stores reselling the stuff under the table at double to quadruple.
 #316407  by TrueBlue

And now, with this law on the horizon, expect the cost and availability to skyrocket and plummet, respectively. Good 'ol .22LR has been selling for $0.10 - $0.15 / rd forever, locally it's higher still.
 #316467  by mabraham

TrueBlue wrote:And now, with this law on the horizon, expect the cost and availability to skyrocket and plummet, respectively. Good 'ol .22LR has been selling for $0.10 - $0.15 / rd forever, locally it's higher still.
Back when I shot on a small bore rifle team in high school (circa 2005) your bulk .22 such as remington was about $0.02 a round and the stuff like Eley was about what you pay for bulk ammo today. Ammo is starting to reappear in stores. There is an abundance of 5.56 UMC and some XM193 floating around at the major retailers. I walked into a small gun store yesterday and saw Wolf 7.62x39 going for $15 for a box of 20. The Dicks (sporting goods) down the road had a full stock of Tulammo 7.62X39 with no limit of purchase for $5.99 a box. Its still tough to get 9mm, .40, .45 ACP, .380, .38, .357, and especially .22. As of October in Connecticut we will no longer be able to purchase ammo online. This gives privilege to the shops to go ahead and rape us on price. A lot of my carry ammo isn't normally stocked in stores either. Forget about it if you have anything like a Mauser, Hakim, Endfield, or Mosin Nagant that you like to shoot a lot. None of that formerly dirt cheap milsurp bulk ammo is stocked by major retailers here; it will be sold at rape prices in small quantities by small shops since it can no longer be ordered online. Now the Government wants to tax it?

On a lighthearted note, I wonder if Biden will create a tax exemption for shotguns and shotgun ammo.
 #316479  by Bill Putney

Hah hah! Good video.

With these high prices and man-made shortages, how are the very young, the poor, and the elderly supposed exercise their Constitutional rights? Where are the ACLU and the Justice Department when you need them?
 #316482  by TrueBlue

We recreated that video using a mid-length AR, a 20-gauge Rem 870, and my buddy's 110 lbs fiancee. The AR she shot three mags consecutively, the pump gun she put two through it, and started calling him by his full name. :P

Shall not be infringed. It seems pretty clear-cut to me.
 #318422  by slimpants

Bill Putney wrote:20% tax on handguns, 50% tax on ammo.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government ... n-Handguns

Interesting that a Constitutional right can be taxed. Wouldn't this violate the rights of the poor and the elderly who can't afford it? Simply requiring someone the "arduous task" of obtaining an ID is considered by some to be a violation of some Constitutional rights, but other rights can be taxed to intentionally make it prohibitive. They say it's to help pay for the extra load on law enforcement. Fair enough. If that's considered OK, then you should agree to put a tax on voting to pay for the cost to government of running the polling locations and all other costs of elections. (Mind you, i'm not for that - I'm just saying that if...then...)

It is called tyranny folks.
Tyranny. Ain't the TP tired of that bs buzzword yet? Good fn Grief. Hmm, perhaps it's still cool on the Sara Pailin Show ..

Should I continue to be saddled with annual Aetna premium increases because "personal-irresponsibility" types choose the Emergency Room instead of the clinic for their ails and/or bullet wound mop-ups? Why don't they pay their own frickin' way if they get Diabetes or get shot? BTW, are they ever turned away should they not be in possession of a valid "State-Issued Photo ID" when they arrive at the E.R. pumped full of lead ?

(Mind you, i'm not for that - I'm just saying that if...then...)

- Bright Bart

:idea: