Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Just Got a Set of 5 Special Rims - Looking for Tire Help

• Wanna put on some cool treads?
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

Wanna put on some cool treads?

Moderator: Moderators

#326899  by isrb710

I just bought 5 Special 18 inch 15 spoke rims and am hoping to find long-lasting somewhat reasonably priced tires to go on them. I've read thru a ton of posts, but most of them are talking about performance tires. I'm more interested in all-season touring tires that have good traction in snow and rain.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Ron
 #326900  by InfernoLime

I'm my opinion, there is no such thing as an all season tire. If you are going to see any snow, have snow tires. For the summers, I literally bought Yokohama Advan A83's two days ago. Got them second hand, so can't speak too much on price, but the reviews were good, and then come on Mazda 6's, so Mazda is willing to put their name beside them.
 #326907  by 300maximilien

Ron,

I just sold a Special last year that had these Cooper CS4 Touring tires on them and I must say they were one of the best tires I have driven on. Wet and Dry traction was superb. And they were very quiet and comfortable.

The CS4 Touring is Cooper's premium luxury touring tire designed for drivers who want optimum ride comfort, sporty handling, all-season traction and attractive styling in a touring tire.

I also put a set of these on Tyler's M 2 years ago and they are an extreemly nice tire for the money. Wet and Dry traction is nice. Handling is great. And for the price they can't be beat IMO $344 for a set of 4 delivered to your door.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-245-45-18 ... 7e&vxp=mtr

#326916  by Maximus

I have these on right now and there are great. ran great in NJ with all of the snow we had.

Pirelli P4 Four Seasons tire
 #327018  by isrb710

mattgendron wrote:I'm my opinion, there is no such thing as an all season tire. If you are going to see any snow, have snow tires. For the summers, I literally bought Yokohama Advan A83's two days ago. Got them second hand, so can't speak too much on price, but the reviews were good, and then come on Mazda 6's, so Mazda is willing to put their name beside them.
Matt,

I've driven all-season tires for 30+ years and have driven in a LOT of snow very successfully with them. With front wheel drive, I've been able to drive in up to 10 inches of unplowed snow - that one was dicey and I only had to go 100 yards with the bottom of the car dragging the snow. As long as you've got good tread left, they've done quite nicely.

You probably get a lot more snow up yonder in Canada. But we get plenty of it here in Ohio too. Especially this year. I think the Columbus airport has registered about 60 inches of snow and we're still in winter!

Thanks for the opinion. I'll go with some all-season tires, as I don't want to store and swap an extra set of tires.

Ron
 #327026  by isrb710

Thanks for all of your opinions!

Has anyone tried one of these plus zero sizes? Per Discount Tire, these would have pretty much the same diameter as the 245/45-18's. Would the 225/50-18's drive similar to the 225/55-17's that I now drive on? Is one of these sizes more common and thus maybe less expensive? Would drivability be much different than the 245/45-18's?

215/55-18
225/50-18
235/45-18
235/50-18

Thanks, Ron
 #327027  by isrb710

Craig,

How did the Milestars handle the abundance of snow this year? How is the tread holding up after 2 years of driving? How many miles are on them now?

Thanks, Ron
 #327039  by 300MaximuM

isrb710 wrote:Craig,

How did the Milestars handle the abundance of snow this year? How is the tread holding up after 2 years of driving? How many miles are on them now?

Thanks, Ron
Took them off for the snow. But I did have them on for some snow and they performed OK. for miles is have to say maybe 8k of teenager miles and the tread left is good.
 #327123  by isrb710

Thanks, Tyler!

Does anyone know if the painted special rims corrode like the chrome razorstars when driven in the winter? My chrome razorstars corroded just where the tire bead touches the rim. The special rims I got look good around the beads - but of course I don't know their history. There's some corrosion where the hub contacts the rim. I assume that's from the dissimilar metals (aluminum vs steel) and a little copper anti-seize ought to help prevent that going forward - after a good cleanup of course!

Anybody ever try the different sizes listed 3 posts up? Do they ride similar to 245/45-18's? Was cost any better?
 #327141  by LUNAT1C

When I was using my Special wheels (sitting in storage since Spring 2011), the paint was bubbling around the center cap, and the center caps are known for breaking tabs and falling out. I reinforced one that fell out while changing wheels with some epoxy.
 #327144  by LUNAT1C

300maximilien wrote:Special rims don't corroad like chrome razorstars at all....but yes bubbling in center cap area
Right, forgot to mention zero bead corrosion. I think it's just the chrome wheels that have bead corrosion issues.
 #328587  by superblackbird00

I have 2 sets of rims with summer performance this on one and blizzacks on the other. I wound not do anything different. Wife has a Magnum with awd and all seasons and her car can get squirrel if you aren't careful. If I could find a set of rims for her I would get some blizzacks. We are in Alberta and we get lots of snow and ice.
 #328592  by hrmwrm

just put cooper cs4's on the razorstars for summer. will put them on the car in a week or 2. 225/60/17.
and i have a set of black painted 1st gen rims for winter(225/65/16). they have full ice radials on them. not so warm as calgary up here. :D
the only thing i have all season radials on is my truck, but these are a more a mud tire which works good in snow. although they'd be pretty useless if pushed on ice.
i'd never go back to an all season on the car all year long.