Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Complete Suspension Replacement Parts List

• Discussions on suspension & steering repairs or upgrades.
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

Discussions on suspension & steering repairs or upgrades.

Moderator: Moderators

#380656  by dcsally97

Mine is a base with KYB's. I'm very happy with them.
 #380665  by Sneke_Eyez

KYBs are the only struts I would consider, honestly.
LUNAT1C liked this
 #380667  by LUNAT1C

Another thought I'm having... is it worthwhile to get another set of front mounts and bearings now and keep in a box in the basement for when I might need them 5-10 years from now... or do they have an expiration date... such as the grease drying up in the bearings. I question how much longer OEM replacement will be available given the rate of OEM parts being discontinued. Rather not be caught with my pants down, and rather not spend the money and find out they're junk when I do end up needing them. 34,000 on the front strut mounts now, and about 5000 miles added each year.
 #380668  by adu1982

I've been thinking about that two for the LHS (a set to have) and a set to just do them. It still rides great (Florida car) but I'm wondering if it will feel different if I do them with kybș.....the aftermarket quality is what stoped me from doing them till now . The base (my lowest miles) being a PA car actually feels like it might need them, ride wise (no sounds) but since I don't plan on keeping it much longer....it is not on my time schedule anyways.

Been thinking about them.for the LHS for a while just don't wanna put the work to end up with any clunks a few months in and a rough ride. One of the main reasons I love the LHS over the special.in long drives it just floats unlike my special that feels ruff , more like a sports , stiff suspension.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

#380683  by Sneke_Eyez

LUNAT1C wrote: September 11th, 2019, 1:01 pm Another thought I'm having... is it worthwhile to get another set of front mounts and bearings now and keep in a box in the basement for when I might need them 5-10 years from now... or do they have an expiration date... such as the grease drying up in the bearings. I question how much longer OEM replacement will be available given the rate of OEM parts being discontinued. Rather not be caught with my pants down, and rather not spend the money and find out they're junk when I do end up needing them. 34,000 on the front strut mounts now, and about 5000 miles added each year.
It is always a thought.
I can't see the grease in the bearings going bad as long as they are kept in proper storage conditions.
Plus, you could always re-grease them.

For me, I could see buying the mounts and bearings for the Intrepid, which I do plan to keep forever, but I can't see myself keeping the Special long enough to need to do the mounts again, as I have to expect they've got at least another 100k in them and at least another 10 years.
 #380685  by LUNAT1C

Sneke_Eyez wrote: September 12th, 2019, 1:44 pm
LUNAT1C wrote: September 11th, 2019, 1:01 pm Another thought I'm having... is it worthwhile to get another set of front mounts and bearings now and keep in a box in the basement for when I might need them 5-10 years from now... or do they have an expiration date... such as the grease drying up in the bearings. I question how much longer OEM replacement will be available given the rate of OEM parts being discontinued. Rather not be caught with my pants down, and rather not spend the money and find out they're junk when I do end up needing them. 34,000 on the front strut mounts now, and about 5000 miles added each year.
It is always a thought.
I can't see the grease in the bearings going bad as long as they are kept in proper storage conditions.
Plus, you could always re-grease them.

For me, I could see buying the mounts and bearings for the Intrepid, which I do plan to keep forever, but I can't see myself keeping the Special long enough to need to do the mounts again, as I have to expect they've got at least another 100k in them and at least another 10 years.
Right. My thinking is along the lines of my Special, which will burn to the ground before I take my name off the title. Hence the basement full of spare parts that I still need to go through and shrink...
 #380703  by In-trepid

adu1982 wrote: September 11th, 2019, 3:42 pm One of the main reasons I love the LHS over the special.in long drives it just floats unlike my special that feels ruff , more like a sports , stiff suspension.
I had a Concorde for a company car in 2002. I had to get rid of it and get an Intrepid. It felt like a boat on the highway. I need a bit more road feel than that.
 #380704  by adu1982

In-trepid wrote:
adu1982 wrote: September 11th, 2019, 3:42 pm One of the main reasons I love the LHS over the special.in long drives it just floats unlike my special that feels ruff , more like a sports , stiff suspension.
I had a Concorde for a company car in 2002. I had to get rid of it and get an Intrepid. It felt like a boat on the highway. I need a bit more road feel than that.
That's why I love it compared to my special.....(now the base kinda feels like a boat not by design though, but I think that the PA roads killed it more then my fl cars, it has way way less miles but it rides worse than both).... We're pretty pothole free here....Image

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

#384434  by LUNAT1C

Thought I’d snap this thread back up, given tonight’s discoveries in the blue cars wheel wells.

How did the Proforged brand control arms treat you? The Dorman strut rods? I realize the car this thread was born from has moved on.

Thoughts on brands for outer tie rods? Ball joints (comes with the control arm?)? Sway bar end links?

I have greasable problem solver Moog endlinks now, 9 years old. Boots are torn, but the car has no noises now. I’ve in recent years Moog quality flushed the wrong way down the porcelain throne.

I’m of the opinion that I would rather spend the money now for quality parts and not have to do it again for another 18 years, than to have problems because I went for lower priced (and quality) parts. If factory-quality Mopar parts were still available, I’d pay for it. The car will be around for decades if I can help it, so quality comes first. If that’s even possible any longer.
 #384437  by Countachqv

I am still happy with KYB struts assembly. As far as the rest of parts was using moog too but noticed they can be hit and miss and may wear prematurely compared to oem. Recently did a MEVOTECH front link job to fix a clunker. Prior links bars did not last 3 years. MOOG as tie rods seem ok and have been there a while.
My main issue is I have not found front links that last and I hate the new grease ball think they put on it. i'll never grease them and i don't want to.
 #384439  by LUNAT1C

Non-greasable is important to me. I think I greased my Moogs maybe three times in the last 9 years. Somehow they’re not making noise that I’m aware of, but the boots are ripped, so they won’t last much longer.
 #384470  by Sneke_Eyez

LUNAT1C wrote: June 5th, 2020, 8:18 pm Thought I’d snap this thread back up, given tonight’s discoveries in the blue cars wheel wells.

How did the Proforged brand control arms treat you? The Dorman strut rods? I realize the car this thread was born from has moved on.

Thoughts on brands for outer tie rods? Ball joints (comes with the control arm?)? Sway bar end links?

I have greasable problem solver Moog endlinks now, 9 years old. Boots are torn, but the car has no noises now. I’ve in recent years Moog quality flushed the wrong way down the porcelain throne.

I’m of the opinion that I would rather spend the money now for quality parts and not have to do it again for another 18 years, than to have problems because I went for lower priced (and quality) parts. If factory-quality Mopar parts were still available, I’d pay for it. The car will be around for decades if I can help it, so quality comes first. If that’s even possible any longer.
All of the suspension parts described in this thread are on the new car with the exception of the rear struts, front and rear endlinks, and rear lateral links and inner and outer tie rods.

I have been happy with the Proforged items so far.
About 15k miles on them if I had to guess.
One of my swaybar endlinks is clunking a bit, but I think that's just because it needs to be tightened (and it was new earlier this year).

I would buy the Proforged stuff again, but I wouldn't be married to the brand. I'd buy Moog or another company if I thought they were a good price and they were a good price.
I would also buy the Dorman strut rods. Not much selection there if I remember right.
I always go Moog for front endlinks because they're the only ones I can keep quiet for a long time. Yes I grease them, usually once a season. 9 years is a good long time to get out of them - don't expect there to be another brand out there you can get that many years out of. The set on my Intrepid is roughly 5 years old and they are still clunk free, but it is driven more like your car than my Special is (show car v. DD).
Outer tie rods I always go Moog and their updated adjuster sleeves. I have had good luck with them on the old Special and the Pro Am.
Inner tie rods I go two piece Moog because I don't want to have to press fit them in. They wear out faster than the OEM style press fit, but I can swap them in a couple of hours versus having to take the full tie rod out and bring it somewhere to have them pressed in.
The Mopar V-line struts (in front now of the new car) are ok and ride decently. I'd buy them again at a good price. I'd go KYB if I was picking at full price. (I have KYBs on the Intrepid.)

The reality is that many of these replacement parts simply will not last as long as the OEM stuff and OEM stuff is either unavailable or super overpriced.

But I will tell you that doing this job made the old Special (and now the new one) less clunky and ride much better, with no steering play.

My Special (new and old) is a good testing ground for these parts because I run the heavy 20s in the summer when I am driving the car hard. Anything that can be abused will be abused by the rims and these MA roads.
LUNAT1C liked this