Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • That 1000 Watt amplifier upgrade

  • Discuss Custom or Factory Audio Systems
Membership Banner

Discuss Custom or Factory Audio Systems

Moderator: Moderators

 #387755  by bbb123
 
I picked up the high end Azera amp today at you pull it for $8

Appreciate all the info and looking forward to trying it however a couple things make me wonder
Claim is 12 channels but only 11 pairs of output wires
Claim 55 watts x 12 for 660 watts
However Azera wiring diagram from post one shows powered by three wires all from same 30 amp fuse

12 volts 30 amps is at most ( no loss to inefficiency) 360 watts

All that matters is how it sounds but in figuring how many amps it needs is it 55amps to cover 660 watts or just 30 amps total input needed?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
 #387756  by In-trepid
 
Byron, you must be assuming that this is a class A amplifier. Given it is automobile audio, I would assume that it probably is not, especially on the subwoofer channel. Probably a class C or Class D amp.
 #387757  by bbb123
 
A D has less wasted power but even with no wasted power (no heat generated) ohms law still applies and watts of power cannot ever be more than amps x volts

No such thing as a free lunch in the world of physics

So even if we assume a non existent 100% efficient amplifier (maybe a magical class z) that needs no cooling fins as it generates no heat and all power in goes only to sound
And we decide with alternator running voltage jumps from 12 volts to 15
If it is running thru a 30 amp fuse it’s max total power output is 15x30 which is only 450 watts


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
 #387825  by LUNAT1C
 
It wouldn't shock me if that 660W has some advertising fudging going on. Real world would be far less, just as it is with all audio systems. For example, my system is 1000W RMS, with a peak much higher (around 2000W IIRC) that it will never achieve because peak values are meaningless. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the difference you're inquiring about. The factory Chrysler 360W system has an RMS far less than that I believe.

Not saying that's exactly what it is, just an outside thought.
User avatar
 #388409  by adu1982
 
Ok, so it is getting annoying now, and another 5-6k in the coming trip wont be bearable.... the Pacifica sub sounds like crap. I think either me or the wife blew it. I am not an audiophile, and i have no time to research, sooo which sub to buy? I will buy a new sub.... I am unclear about which i need for the azera amp. Is it a 4 ohm dual coil sub or 2 ohm dual coil one or 4ohm or 2ohm single coil? Plenty of good reviews subs on amazon or if somebody can suggest one soon. I need to order it so i can have it and install it by July 8th.
User avatar
 #388414  by Sneke_Eyez
 
adu1982 wrote: June 27th, 2021, 10:16 pm Ok, so it is getting annoying now, and another 5-6k in the coming trip wont be bearable.... the Pacifica sub sounds like crap. I think either me or the wife blew it. I am not an audiophile, and i have no time to research, sooo which sub to buy? I will buy a new sub.... I am unclear about which i need for the azera amp. Is it a 4 ohm dual coil sub or 2 ohm dual coil one or 4ohm or 2ohm single coil? Plenty of good reviews subs on amazon or if somebody can suggest one soon. I need to order it so i can have it and install it by July 8th.
I have a dual voice coil Rockford Fosgate I bought on Amazon that is mounted in a Tiburon box. It sounds great!
User avatar
 #388439  by sdugasjr
 
Sneke_Eyez wrote: June 28th, 2021, 10:21 am
adu1982 wrote: June 27th, 2021, 10:16 pm Ok, so it is getting annoying now, and another 5-6k in the coming trip wont be bearable.... the Pacifica sub sounds like crap. I think either me or the wife blew it. I am not an audiophile, and i have no time to research, sooo which sub to buy? I will buy a new sub.... I am unclear about which i need for the azera amp. Is it a 4 ohm dual coil sub or 2 ohm dual coil one or 4ohm or 2ohm single coil? Plenty of good reviews subs on amazon or if somebody can suggest one soon. I need to order it so i can have it and install it by July 8th.
I have a dual voice coil Rockford Fosgate I bought on Amazon that is mounted in a Tiburon box. It sounds great!
Are you also running this Azera upgrade, factory system, or are you on a custom aftermarket system? I've been looking to add a little more "oomf" to the sound system in my 300, but I'm not sure which route I would want to take. I've seen people run Infinity Basslink's with the factory system, but I'm not sure how good it sounds.
User avatar
 #388440  by FIREM
 
Sidney, not quite sure what you are looking for in sound quality. Here's my "old guy story"
FIREM came with the stock AB AMP considered good at the time but lacked bass
Added a properly wired Basslink in the trunk and thought I had the ultimate set up.
Swapped the RBB radio for a RB1 Navigation head and sound quality improved even more.
Swapped to the LHS "688AC" amp, the rear deck came alive and overall sound was better quality. At that time also upgraded the front sails to the "Mesh Grill" infinity speakers.
Then the Azera Amp was discovered. OMG what a difference. Sail and center dash speakers swapped for rear door speakers, Basslink crapped out so was scrapped. Dual Voice Coil 8" Sub from am Pacifica(?)and wow.
Knee and lower leg get a massage from the door woofer, you can "see" the drum skins flex in your mind as the sound quality is that good.
Adjusted Bass +2, Treble +1 Fade +1 Rear and Rock On Dude
sdugasjr liked this
User avatar
 #388441  by sdugasjr
 
FIREM wrote: June 30th, 2021, 7:46 am Sidney, not quite sure what you are looking for in sound quality. Here's my "old guy story"
FIREM came with the stock AB AMP considered good at the time but lacked bass
Added a properly wired Basslink in the trunk and thought I had the ultimate set up.
Swapped the RBB radio for a RB1 Navigation head and sound quality improved even more.
Swapped to the LHS "688AC" amp, the rear deck came alive and overall sound was better quality. At that time also upgraded the front sails to the "Mesh Grill" infinity speakers.
Then the Azera Amp was discovered. OMG what a difference. Sail and center dash speakers swapped for rear door speakers, Basslink crapped out so was scrapped. Dual Voice Coil 8" Sub from am Pacifica(?)and wow.
Knee and lower leg get a massage from the door woofer, you can "see" the drum skins flex in your mind as the sound quality is that good.
Adjusted Bass +2, Treble +1 Fade +1 Rear and Rock On Dude
I am looking for something similar, I'm running a 688, and it's a huge improvement from the AB amp, but as you stated, it still lacks a little bass and that's what I am looking for. I just want some more "boom". for lack of better words lol. But from the sounds of it, the Azera w/ sub seems to be the route I would want to take?
User avatar
 #388442  by LUNAT1C
 
Were I upgrading a factory system with no intention of replacing the speakers (though I probably would do that with simple drop-in replacements), I would get the Azera with a simple powered sub, or whatever sub is being used by folks now. I sounds like (pun intended) it's the best ratio of SQ/installation effort.

I've thought about it with the black car, but unless I start driving it more often, that's unlikely. The blue car is getting a few minor tweaks to fix some vibration and connectivity issues, and some DSP tuning, and otherwise sticking to its aftermarket setup. It's setup is not for the faint of heart (or anyone not wanting multiple new runs of speaker wire and RCA cables, or mess with component speaker systems).
sdugasjr liked this
User avatar
 #388444  by FIREM
 
sdugasjr wrote: June 30th, 2021, 11:00 am
FIREM wrote: June 30th, 2021, 7:46 am Sidney, not quite sure what you are looking for in sound quality. Here's my "old guy story"
FIREM came with the stock AB AMP considered good at the time but lacked bass
Added a properly wired Basslink in the trunk and thought I had the ultimate set up.
Swapped the RBB radio for a RB1 Navigation head and sound quality improved even more.
Swapped to the LHS "688AC" amp, the rear deck came alive and overall sound was better quality. At that time also upgraded the front sails to the "Mesh Grill" infinity speakers.
Then the Azera Amp was discovered. OMG what a difference. Sail and center dash speakers swapped for rear door speakers, Basslink crapped out so was scrapped. Dual Voice Coil 8" Sub from am Pacifica(?)and wow.
Knee and lower leg get a massage from the door woofer, you can "see" the drum skins flex in your mind as the sound quality is that good.
Adjusted Bass +2, Treble +1 Fade +1 Rear and Rock On Dude
I am looking for something similar, I'm running a 688, and it's a huge improvement from the AB amp, but as you stated, it still lacks a little bass and that's what I am looking for. I just want some more "boom". for lack of better words lol. But from the sounds of it, the Azera w/ sub seems to be the route I would want to take?
Even without a sub it is a great set up, blows the 688 out of the water!
sdugasjr liked this
User avatar
 #388446  by sdugasjr
 
What is a good sub you'd recommend to run with the Azera Amp, beside the Pacifica one?
User avatar
 #388449  by M-Pressive
 
sdugasjr wrote:What is a good sub you'd recommend to run with the Azera Amp, beside the Pacifica one?
Ryan recommended one above.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
 #388450  by Sneke_Eyez
 
sdugasjr wrote: June 30th, 2021, 12:42 am
Sneke_Eyez wrote: June 28th, 2021, 10:21 am
adu1982 wrote: June 27th, 2021, 10:16 pm Ok, so it is getting annoying now, and another 5-6k in the coming trip wont be bearable.... the Pacifica sub sounds like crap. I think either me or the wife blew it. I am not an audiophile, and i have no time to research, sooo which sub to buy? I will buy a new sub.... I am unclear about which i need for the azera amp. Is it a 4 ohm dual coil sub or 2 ohm dual coil one or 4ohm or 2ohm single coil? Plenty of good reviews subs on amazon or if somebody can suggest one soon. I need to order it so i can have it and install it by July 8th.
I have a dual voice coil Rockford Fosgate I bought on Amazon that is mounted in a Tiburon box. It sounds great!
Are you also running this Azera upgrade, factory system, or are you on a custom aftermarket system? I've been looking to add a little more "oomf" to the sound system in my 300, but I'm not sure which route I would want to take. I've seen people run Infinity Basslink's with the factory system, but I'm not sure how good it sounds.
I have the Azera amp in both my Special and my Intrepid.

This is the subwoofer I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005P ... UTF8&psc=1

Now it looks like Rockford discontinued it, but I am very happy with it. I'd look for something similar if I needed to buy another.
User avatar
 #388469  by sdugasjr
 
Sneke_Eyez wrote: June 30th, 2021, 10:10 pm
sdugasjr wrote: June 30th, 2021, 12:42 am
Sneke_Eyez wrote: June 28th, 2021, 10:21 am

I have a dual voice coil Rockford Fosgate I bought on Amazon that is mounted in a Tiburon box. It sounds great!
Are you also running this Azera upgrade, factory system, or are you on a custom aftermarket system? I've been looking to add a little more "oomf" to the sound system in my 300, but I'm not sure which route I would want to take. I've seen people run Infinity Basslink's with the factory system, but I'm not sure how good it sounds.
I have the Azera amp in both my Special and my Intrepid.

This is the subwoofer I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005P ... UTF8&psc=1

Now it looks like Rockford discontinued it, but I am very happy with it. I'd look for something similar if I needed to buy another.
Sorry for asking so many questions, but how did you run this with the Azera amp? I know it has a plug for it on the amp, but is it the same plug the aftermarket sub has?

Again I apologize for all the questions, just trying to get a good grasp on this before I decide to pull the trigger and do it.
User avatar
 #388471  by Sneke_Eyez
 
sdugasjr wrote: July 1st, 2021, 9:50 pm
Sneke_Eyez wrote: June 30th, 2021, 10:10 pm
sdugasjr wrote: June 30th, 2021, 12:42 am

Are you also running this Azera upgrade, factory system, or are you on a custom aftermarket system? I've been looking to add a little more "oomf" to the sound system in my 300, but I'm not sure which route I would want to take. I've seen people run Infinity Basslink's with the factory system, but I'm not sure how good it sounds.
I have the Azera amp in both my Special and my Intrepid.

This is the subwoofer I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005P ... UTF8&psc=1

Now it looks like Rockford discontinued it, but I am very happy with it. I'd look for something similar if I needed to buy another.
Sorry for asking so many questions, but how did you run this with the Azera amp? I know it has a plug for it on the amp, but is it the same plug the aftermarket sub has?

Again I apologize for all the questions, just trying to get a good grasp on this before I decide to pull the trigger and do it.
Never apologize for asking questions on this forum. Not to me, not to anyone else. That's what the forum is for!

Aftermarket subs have spots to "plug in" bare wires. I ran the sub off of the Azera's sub leads. The stock Azera sub is dual voice coil and this sub is dual voice coil, so 4 wires total. I happened to add an in-line plug (cut off Airbag plug from something at the junkyard years ago) to allow it to be unplugged and removed if necessary, but you could just wire it straight up to the sub and the Azera amp would power it fine.

I think this upgrade is worth every dollar I spent on it. I did it to my wife's Pro Am when she owned it, I did it to my last Special, I did it to my Intrepid, and I did it to this Special when I bought it. It is worth every penny and every amount of time it took and I still think Bobby is some kind of genius for figuring out how to do it in the first place.
sdugasjr liked this
User avatar
 #388472  by sdugasjr
 
Sneke_Eyez wrote: July 1st, 2021, 10:50 pm
sdugasjr wrote: July 1st, 2021, 9:50 pm
Sneke_Eyez wrote: June 30th, 2021, 10:10 pm
I have the Azera amp in both my Special and my Intrepid.

This is the subwoofer I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005P ... UTF8&psc=1

Now it looks like Rockford discontinued it, but I am very happy with it. I'd look for something similar if I needed to buy another.
Sorry for asking so many questions, but how did you run this with the Azera amp? I know it has a plug for it on the amp, but is it the same plug the aftermarket sub has?

Again I apologize for all the questions, just trying to get a good grasp on this before I decide to pull the trigger and do it.
Never apologize for asking questions on this forum. Not to me, not to anyone else. That's what the forum is for!

Aftermarket subs have spots to "plug in" bare wires. I ran the sub off of the Azera's sub leads. The stock Azera sub is dual voice coil and this sub is dual voice coil, so 4 wires total. I happened to add an in-line plug (cut off Airbag plug from something at the junkyard years ago) to allow it to be unplugged and removed if necessary, but you could just wire it straight up to the sub and the Azera amp would power it fine.

I think this upgrade is worth every dollar I spent on it. I did it to my wife's Pro Am when she owned it, I did it to my last Special, I did it to my Intrepid, and I did it to this Special when I bought it. It is worth every penny and every amount of time it took and I still think Bobby is some kind of genius for figuring out how to do it in the first place.
Awesome! Thank you so much for the help, now just to track down everything I need lol
 #390302  by bbb123
 
Did find alternate source for the 26 pin plug for the Azera amp

Look at Body Control Module (attached to fuse box above driver foot well on WJ (Jeep Grand Cherokee 1999-2004) it has a 22 pin and a 26 pin connector and the 26 pin is an exact match for the Azera amp plug
The 22 pin matches the stock pre can bus radio 22 pin

These WJ are very common at you pull it yards

No alternate source for the 16 pin that I have found

Local you pull it raised amp prices from $6 to $20 but still a good deal

Pig tails now &2

Also someone mentioned that Azera door speakers were riveted on (seen that at least in rear doors) but a cordless drill takes heads of rivits right off (stepped bit makes sure the one you have will be correct size)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #390321  by bbb123
 
Both the 16 pin harness plug and the 26 pin harness plug that fit the Azera amp are easily found on Chrysler seat memory module found under driver seat cushion on the following vehicles equipped with seat position memory option

99-04 Intrepid/Concord/300M
01-06 minivan (grand caravan and town and country)
04-08 Chrysler Pacifica


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #392023  by bbb123
 
Do you know anything about the connector on the back end of the amp opposite end where harness connects i

It is covered by small piece of silver tape and looks like standard lan computer cable socket


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7