Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • That 1000 Watt amplifier upgrade

• Discuss Custom or Factory Audio Systems
Membership Banner

Discuss Custom or Factory Audio Systems

Moderator: Moderators

#372210  by In-trepid

I have made a couple of the adapters and wired it straight up. That being said, my 2004 Special has all of the speakers out of phase using the FWAEH FH-168 phase detector. My "winter car" Intrepid also has all speakers out of phase. My 2002 Special has the front door speakers in phase and all others out of phase. I am contemplating changing the 2002 door speakers so that everything is out of phase in that car as well. I am also probably going to try wiring one of the adapters to put all speakers in phase. While not an audio expert, I'm sure that the "whole package" in the same phase is the way to go. What I'm not sure about is will it make a difference if I wire the adapter to put all speakers "in phase" vs "out of phase"as tested by the meter. What exactly would I hear different? Cleaner? Crisper? Higher volume? Better frequency response? Better highs? Better lows?
slimpants liked this
 #372212  by slimpants

It matters not whether they're all in phase or out of phase. So long as they're all IN, or all OUT.

The trouble arises when one or more speakers are not in the same phase as the rest of 'em:

Utah. They won't steer ya wrong ..

TrepKing95 liked this
 #372217  by FIREM

02SilverSpecial wrote: August 25th, 2017, 2:14 pm I also forgot to add to the original post: For whatever reason Chrysler wires all of their amplified systems in 180. If you pull any speaker, say the drivers door woofer. The FSM states that at the speaker pin 1 is positive and pin 3 is negative. If you actually test the speaker polarity it is reverse. I am assuming Chrysler did this to save the factory speakers from constant warranty replacement as the woofers fire in versus out. Even just reversing the polarity on the stock 360 will make a dramatic improvement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Found all speakers reverse phase on FIREM so as I build the harness I am swapping +/- speaker wires. This way I get the upgrade and all in proper phase.
 #372218  by dcsally97

FIREM wrote: March 1st, 2018, 6:28 am
02SilverSpecial wrote: August 25th, 2017, 2:14 pm I also forgot to add to the original post: For whatever reason Chrysler wires all of their amplified systems in 180. If you pull any speaker, say the drivers door woofer. The FSM states that at the speaker pin 1 is positive and pin 3 is negative. If you actually test the speaker polarity it is reverse. I am assuming Chrysler did this to save the factory speakers from constant warranty replacement as the woofers fire in versus out. Even just reversing the polarity on the stock 360 will make a dramatic improvement

Found all speakers reverse phase on FIREM so as I build the harness I am swapping +/- speaker wires. This way I get the upgrade and all in proper phase.
Bob, what did you use to check the phase?
 #372220  by In-trepid

I use the this meter and CD.

#372221  by FIREM

Old School, Battery and watched direction of travel. Only did the sails (as I was replacing them) and the front door speakers. Both were backwards, so based on postings by others I'm guessing the rest are also.
 #372222  by dcsally97

Time for more work!
 #372223  by slimpants

FIREM wrote: March 1st, 2018, 11:55 am Only did the sails (as I was replacing them) and the front door speakers. Both were backwards, so based on postings by others I'm guessing the rest are also.

FWIW. In my case, only the rear door speakers were originally installed out of phase.

I'm still using my original rear deck speakers and both of those came installed in phase from the factory.

#372232  by FIREM

WOW :mouthdrop What a difference. !
Finished up the harness, quickie plug into the Pro-Am with no other changes and the sound is AMAZING.
No Sub, no speakers changed just a test run and worth every penny and minute invested.
Sneke_Eyez, beespecial liked this
 #372236  by Sneke_Eyez

Told yah!

It is a great upgrade!
 #372238  by 02SilverSpecial

I have been playing with more newer OEM Chrysler speakers (Alpine from the new Jeep JK, and have H/K coming today).

The rear 6x9s have been replaced with the 6.5s from the Jeep and holy cow! Will report back when the 6.5 and 6x9 H/K speakers arrive!

The issue with the speakers being out of phase isn’t that one is right and one is wrong it’s just either pushing the cone out or sucking in. Which way do you think mids and lows sound better? PUSHING OUT!

#372241  by beespecial

FIREM wrote: March 2nd, 2018, 7:38 am WOW :mouthdrop What a difference. !
Finished up the harness, quickie plug into the Pro-Am with no other changes and the sound is AMAZING.
No Sub, no speakers changed just a test run and worth every penny and minute invested.
So, if I'm reading this correctly, you just used the Azera 96370-3L400 amp with a modified harness in the Pro-Am using the original OEM speakers and headunit?
 #372243  by FIREM

Yup, just to test it out. Base stock 3 slider head unit, stock speakers, amp laying on floor of trunk, no sub. Set in a decent radio station, swapped connectors from the LHS amp to the Azera amp and BAM what a sound. Had to travel for work today so spent 2 hours on the road. Sounded so great I kept cranking it up and blew the well aged center dash speaker. Going to swap it into the red car soon.
 #372246  by beespecial

Well, I think I know what my next upgrade is going to be. :thumbsup
FIREM liked this
 #372247  by In-trepid

FIREM wrote: March 2nd, 2018, 7:38 am WOW :mouthdrop What a difference. !
Just wait until you put the sub on! I am using a sub in a stock enclosure from a Pacifica. It is Infinity branded and 2 ohm compatible. It really makes a big difference in sound fullness. I'm looking at eventually mounting the sub in the back package deck between the 6 X 9 speakers. Probably the biggest change that I have noticed was swapping the sail tweeters for the 2 1/2 rear door speakers. Much fuller sound and pretty full range. The original tweeters really have no crossover so they are actually just small speakers vs really being tweeters.
 #372280  by dcsally97

Do you guys have pictures of the Pacifica center speaker mounted? More specifically, how much needed to be Dremeled.
 #372368  by In-trepid

I am so happy. It's a great day today with the Hyundai amp for my second Special that I bought from ebay. It arrived all wrapped up looking new in it's original box. A NOS amp and I got it for a silly low price.
M-Pressive, Sneke_Eyez liked this
 #372390  by 02SilverSpecial

dcsally97 wrote:Do you guys have pictures of the Pacifica center speaker mounted? More specifically, how much needed to be Dremeled.
I don’t have any pics of it mounted but I removed about a half an inch of plastic. I’ll try to get a pic

#372392  by dcsally97

That would be great. I have it in, but it isn't too pretty. Fortunately this dash will be going bye-bye when I put the replacement in. I will be able to use the Dremel outside of the car this time. Adding the 3 front upgraded speakers is amazing.
 #372402  by In-trepid

dcsally97 wrote: March 10th, 2018, 11:23 am Adding the 3 front upgraded speakers is amazing.
When I replaced the original tweeters with back door full range speakers I couldn't believe the difference. I thought that probably the tweeters had been bad and I just didn't realize it. I then took a closer listen in my other Special and noticed that very little actually came from the tweeters, neither highs or any other part of the frequency range. Just a bad design I guess. Can't wait to to get a new front center speaker. Like you Doug, I need to replace the dash due to a crack and now the AC evaporator has too big of leak in it as well so it has moved to the top of my work list before it gets hot. I'll probably do the center speaker at that time.

How much of a problem was to get the dash speaker out of the Pacifica?