Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • That 1000 Watt amplifier upgrade

• Discuss Custom or Factory Audio Systems
Membership Banner

Discuss Custom or Factory Audio Systems

Moderator: Moderators

#372403  by dcsally97

In-trepid wrote: March 10th, 2018, 2:50 pm
dcsally97 wrote: March 10th, 2018, 11:23 am Adding the 3 front upgraded speakers is amazing.
When I replaced the original tweeters with back door full range speakers I couldn't believe the difference. I thought that probably the tweeters had been bad and I just didn't realize it. I then took a closer listen in my other Special and noticed that very little actually came from the tweeters, neither highs or any other part of the frequency range. Just a bad design I guess. Can't wait to to get a new front center speaker. Like you Doug, I need to replace the dash due to a crack and now the AC evaporator has too big of leak in it as well so it has moved to the top of my work list before it gets hot. I'll probably do the center speaker at that time.

How much of a problem was to get the dash speaker out of the Pacifica?
Very easy to get the Pacifica speaker. I used a ratcheting 90° screwdriver.
 #372445  by Mottman

Just got this setup in ( sorta ), And all I can say is WOW :shock: :D !

And that's just installing the LEXICON amp and 5064204AB speakers
in the sails and dash !

It's a HUGE difference in volume and sound quality.

It's not perfect though. The front sails seem too overpowering.
And everything else seems a bit too separated.

It sounds like: vocalists are right in front of me, singing in my face.
Lead guitar has speakers setup at my 2:00 o'clock and 10:00 o'clock.
Bass guitar and other instruments are coming from speakers setup at
my 4:00 o'clock and 8:00 o'clock. And the drummer is 4 feet behind me .
( it still is an impressive improvement )

I think this actually has to do with my aftermarket stereo.
Or maybe its the LEXICON amp.
I can use the stereo's limited equalizer adjustments to tune it in pretty good.
But what I am going to try is swap the 5064204AB speakers into the rear doors
and install the rear door speakers into the sails.
( try to bring the mids and highs more into the center of the cabin )
Or maybe get another pair of the 5064204AB speakers and add them to the rear
doors.

Of course, I still have to add the rest of the speakers and the correct JBL amp.

But WOW :D !
 #372463  by FIREM

Upgrade Observations:
Upgrade from the "stock" amp to the "LHS" amp brought the rear deck to life. Good overall improvement to the quality of sound at the time even with no speaker changes other then "mesh" sails. Many folks did this upgrade in the past.
KIA amp does this and much more. RB1 as head unit. Upgraded "sail speakers" using rear door speakers, and used the Basslink Speaker only as the sub.( internal amp dead) Quality and clarity of sound is amazing both front and rear. Even without a sub the sound is great! Just as the LHS brought the rear to life, this set up brings the whole car system to life. I will defiantly upgrade the center dash speaker as it now adds much to the sound stage up front. Needed to adjust the "fade" slightly to the rear to get full sound throughout, Bass +2 treble +1 and wow. Great find Bobby !
 #372467  by M-Pressive

I really need to get the harnesses built and get this installed in Lindsey's special.
 #372488  by In-trepid

FIREM wrote: March 12th, 2018, 8:55 am Upgrade Observations:
Upgrade from the "stock" amp to the "LHS" amp brought the rear deck to life. Good overall improvement to the quality of sound at the time even with no speaker changes other then "mesh" sails. Many folks did this upgrade in the past.
KIA amp does this and much more. RB1 as head unit. Upgraded "sail speakers" using rear door speakers, and used the Basslink Speaker only as the sub.( internal amp dead) Quality and clarity of sound is amazing both front and rear. Even without a sub the sound is great! Just as the LHS brought the rear to life, this set up brings the whole car system to life. I will defiantly upgrade the center dash speaker as it now adds much to the sound stage up front. Needed to adjust the "fade" slightly to the rear to get full sound throughout, Bass +2 treble +1 and wow. Great find Bobby !
My exact same observations right down to the fade, bass and treble settings. Only difference is that I am using the Pacifica sub.
FIREM liked this
 #372532  by cos1776

I have been following this thread from the beginning, and plan to forge ahead and do this upgrade. I have many other things to do on my 2002 Special, but I find the OEM 360 system lacking in sound quality and want to do the best upgrade I can with the least amount of expense and modification to the original look. My plan is to go with new speakers instead of going with unknown quality used speakers from a yard, if that makes financial and logical sense. Based on this criteria, I have a few questions .

1. Not knowing much about the specifications of the Azera amp, I am wondering if the impedance of the speakers it was originally designed for is the same as the ones in the 300m? If I am not mistaken, it seems that our system has 2 ohm speakers, so is this of importance, and if so are the suggested replacement speakers also 2ohm?

2. The consensus seems to be to replace the speakers in the front sails with the rear door speakers from the 360 system or Mopar #5064204ab. So, does anyone know the part number of the rear door speakers in the 360 system? Is this the way to go or are there aftermarket speakers to consider? is the 5064204ab speaker better than the rear door 360 system speaker? If there is a better speaker for the rear doors, than should I also replace those?

3. It is suggested to replace the front door woofers with a Mopar #5081667ac, is this the best way to go, or is there an aftermarket speaker that would be better and/or less expensive?

3. A Mopar part#56043082ae is suggested as a replacement for the 6x9 rear deck speakers. Is this necessary to achieve the best sound or are the rear deck speakers in the 360 system adequate? Once again, is this the best way to go, or is there an aftermarket speaker that would be better and/or less expensive?

4. It appears by looking at the wiring diagram that the Azera amp had a sub with 2 speakers, and that the harness adapter combines that into a lead for just one sub speaker. Was this done to accommodate the Jeep Grand Cherokee sub (Mopar #5064610ac) or for some other reason? Is the Grand Cherokee sub and box the way to go or is there a better/less expensive sub and box configuration to use that won't eat up space in the trunk area? It seems that a used sub is about half the price of a new one, so would it make sense to go used here or not, seeing that a used one could have been played hard? Also, what is the best position for the sub? I assume it is for low frequency tones only, so will it be effective with the rear seat in the upright position?

That is all I have for now. Hopefully I can get some good feedback so that I can start to gather up the needed parts for this upgrade. Thank you in advance to anyone that offers up their expertise and opinions on this subject.

John
 #372534  by Mottman

Just got the JBL amp from FEE-BAY ( $49.00 w/ shipping ).
And all I can say is HOLY CRAP ! What an improvement
over the Lexicon.

Seriously, Other than the wiring pigtails, the Lexicon is just a
tease. Go with the JBL amp.

( And I still have to install the rest of the speakers for the full effect )

Bobby, You Da man ! Thank you so much for this setup !

Brian,

LOUDER THAN GODS REVOLVER AND TWICE AS SHINY !
 #372539  by 02SilverSpecial

cos1776 wrote:I have been following this thread from the beginning, and plan to forge ahead and do this upgrade. I have many other things to do on my 2002 Special, but I find the OEM 360 system lacking in sound quality and want to do the best upgrade I can with the least amount of expense and modification to the original look. My plan is to go with new speakers instead of going with unknown quality used speakers from a yard, if that makes financial and logical sense. Based on this criteria, I have a few questions .

1. Not knowing much about the specifications of the Azera amp, I am wondering if the impedance of the speakers it was originally designed for is the same as the ones in the 300m? If I am not mistaken, it seems that our system has 2 ohm speakers, so is this of importance, and if so are the suggested replacement speakers also 2ohm?

I have studied this amplifier in great detail and can tell you that it was designed to work with 2 ohm speakers. All the Azera OEM speakers are 2 ohm from the factory.

2. The consensus seems to be to replace the speakers in the front sails with the rear door speakers from the 360 system or Mopar #5064204ab. So, does anyone know the part number of the rear door speakers in the 360 system? Is this the way to go or are there aftermarket speakers to consider? is the 5064204ab speaker better than the rear door 360 system speaker? If there is a better speaker for the rear doors, than should I also replace those?

The Liberty/Nitro 2.5” tweeters have a cleaner sound than the OEM LH rear door speakers. Plus these can be had brand new for $21

3. It is suggested to replace the front door woofers with a Mopar #5081667ac, is this the best way to go, or is there an aftermarket speaker that would be better and/or less expensive?

So far this has been the best 6.5” woofers I have come across for the best cost effectiveness.

3. A Mopar part#56043082ae is suggested as a replacement for the 6x9 rear deck speakers. Is this necessary to achieve the best sound or are the rear deck speakers in the 360 system adequate? Once again, is this the best way to go, or is there an aftermarket speaker that would be better and/or less expensive?

As with the 6.5” front door woofers these are the best 6x9 for the price. I have done a lot of speakers both OEM and aftermarket and all the speakers I have listed are the best that I have found to date. If I come across anything better I will post it.

4. It appears by looking at the wiring diagram that the Azera amp had a sub with 2 speakers, and that the harness adapter combines that into a lead for just one sub speaker. Was this done to accommodate the Jeep Grand Cherokee sub (Mopar #5064610ac) or for some other reason? Is the Grand Cherokee sub and box the way to go or is there a better/less expensive sub and box configuration to use that won't eat up space in the trunk area? It seems that a used sub is about half the price of a new one, so would it make sense to go used here or not, seeing that a used one could have been played hard? Also, what is the best position for the sub? I assume it is for low frequency tones only, so will it be effective with the rear seat in the upright position?

I don’t know what you mean but the subwoofer has 2 channels (as the OEM subwoofer is a dual voice coil unit) and has 4 wires from the amp to the sub. I have the sub mounted in a Hyundai Tiburon OEM sub box.

That is all I have for now. Hopefully I can get some good feedback so that I can start to gather up the needed parts for this upgrade. Thank you in advance to anyone that offers up their expertise and opinions on this subject.

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #372542  by In-trepid

I have some reservation on the sub setup. I am currently using the sub from a Pacifica. I also have one from a Cherokee for the other car and they appear to be the same sub. At one time I had the sub from the Azera. All three are two channel with dual voice coils. All three sound very similar to me, but this is in the open and not in an enclosure. Putting the Pacifica sub in it's original enclosure doesn't noticeably change the sound. My question is this: In a dual voice coil sub, if both channels hit equally, no problem. If one channel hits harder or softer than the other there seems that you would only hear the channel that hit the hardest. While this may be subtle and may not be an issue with very low bass, there has to some sound degradation versus a sub for each channel with a single voice coil. Is my thinking flawed? How much does the enclosure change the sound of a sub?
 #374668  by FIREM

Looking for some guidance, maybe even parts to finish up my install. Basslink crapped out awhile ago and at this time I have no sub. (still sounds great)
I am looking for an appropriate sub, maybe someone has one to bring to Carlisle ???
I'm also having a hard time understanding the "dual voice coil" concept like John......
 #374689  by Mottman

Bob,

I got a sub from a Cherokee, but no enclosure. I am using a complete sub w/ enclosure
from a 300C with the Beats by Dr. Dre setup ( same speaker, different enclosure )
I will bring it with me.
 #375558  by dcsally97

Well I guess this upgrade is finally cooking my factory speakers. Am I able to now upgrade to any aftermarket speakers? Not sure which ones to get with this amplifier. Any advice?
 #375585  by Sneke_Eyez

Doug, Bobby mixes and matches speakers in his car and might have changed away from all of these already, but this is what he was using as of the first post in the thread:

Speaker upgrades:

Center Channel: 05+ Chrysler Pacifica 3.5" speaker (Dash needs to be cut for this to fit, otherwise you can use the rear door speakers from the 360.)
Sail Speakers: Get rid of the OEM junk "2 way" speaker. It is a 4ohm low sensitivity piece of garbage. Replace it with a good set of rear door 360 speakers. They are 2 ohm, beefy magnet, and play highs better then the tweeter that was in the original sail.
Front Door woofers: I used the Infinity speakers from the Jeep Liberty (2007+ Style). They are 2 ohm, with a stiff cone material. The play lows very nicely for a 6.5" paper speaker.
Rear doors: Leave as is
Rear Deck: I replaced the factory 6x9's with the 6x9's I found from a 2004 Dodge Ram. They are factory "Infinity" with a HUGE magnet and are 2ohm. They sound better than the JBL GTO's I had prior.
 #378650  by Alex Funkhouser

So I just bought the JBL 69370 - 3l400 from eBay ($72) but I can't find male pigtails for the amp, or female pigtails for a Chrysler adapter.
Does anyone know where I can find all the wiring pigtails required? or does anyone have a set already made for sale?
 #378652  by FIREM

EBay
Purchase female 02+ Chrysler radio adapter (2 of them to harvest extra pins to transplant into one)IMC AUDIO Chrysler Dodge Mitsubishi Jeep Wire Harness Radio CWH638 70-6502 CR02B
Kia amplifier bypass harness 70-7305
 #378654  by Alex Funkhouser

Okay, so A&B are the pigtails going into the amp (which I guess I'll have to get from a yard? Can't find any online)

C is the OEM Chrysler receiver that the car's harness plugs into

D is the Kia bypass, but what plugs into it? The second smaller Chrysler harness coming from the head unit?

And is E dependent on what sub-woofer you use? As in, what ever unit you have, just splice in the connector for it?

I'm assuming the system is fully functional without a sub?

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

#378657  by Alex Funkhouser

Also, where does the Kia bypass come into play here? Its connector D, so where (what connects to) did connector E come from?ImageImage

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

#378695  by In-trepid

Alex, I have always had pigtails to start with, but here are a few of my pictures of one conversion cable that I built. I cut the receptacle connector off an old amp and used it for my cable. I wouldn't suggest doing this on a 688AC amp, but the others are a dime a dozen and not worth more than the connector. I would make you one, but I
 #381845  by Mottman

Bobby,
you mentioned you are trying different speakers from newer Jeep JK models
and H/K ( Harmon Kardon ? ) speakers and you were even more blown away
Can you share any more details ? speaker part #s, adapters etc.
Any kinds of improvements get my attention.
Let us know when you can.
Thanks, Brian.

VIX3N, DARKFIRE & The EVIL Sickness
 #381953  by adu1982

I'll second that. Finally working on adding a Pacifica subwoofer to the LHS. Placed it in the rear deck between the two speakers almost half way.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk