Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • 1989 Chrysler Lebaron GTC Converible

• A place to talk about your non-LH current or former vehicles.
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

A place to talk about your non-LH current or former vehicles.

Moderator: Moderators

#369175  by InfernoRedM

Wanted to let everyone know what I have been working on. For a while now, I have considered picking up one of the older Lebaron convertibles. Back in 1987, my wife and I considered buying the coupe, but it was beyond our budget ... so we got the 5-speed turbo Shadow instead. Anyway, after doing a decent amount of research, I found that the 1989 GTC with the 2.2L Turbo II was the best of the best (like the 2002 Special for LH cars). Out of the 90,990 Lebarons made that year, just 906 were these "special" GTCs! Basically, they have the Shelby package (like the Daytona) with the intercooled Turbo II, larger brakes, better suspension and the beefed-up 5-speed Getrag tranny. It was one of the first cars to get the driver's-side airbag. Can you believe the original window sticker put this at north of $20,000 (in 1989)!

So, I flew to Wisconsin on Saturday and drove it home all day yesterday. It's going to be a nice fair-weather driver with some small projects on tap! It needs a little loving. Check it out. Pretty nice for a 28-year-old car!

#369178  by M-Pressive

Congrats!

My grandfather had one many years ago. Really cool car.
InfernoRedM liked this
 #369179  by Sneke_Eyez

Congrats, Reed!
I've always liked the Lebaron convertibles!
My mom just bought a 200 Convertible and has been enjoying the driving experience you only get in a convertible.

I'd say (in my non-professional opinion) that the most immediate change needed is a wheel and tire upgrade to something from the Lebaron family.
Those had great looking stock wheels in general and those Torque Thrust knockoffs are doing the car no favors at all.
 #369193  by InfernoRedM

I am in agreement Ryan. I have always liked the OEM wheels on these. Why the guy would have changed them for these, who knows. Wheels are something I honestly don't like to mess with because there are a lot of the aftermarket wheels that I don't like at all. I guess these are not high-end wheels, but they are "American Racing Aero Chrome," and they were purchased new in 2005 for $775.00 for the four wheels. I don't love them, but they are fine for now.
 #370368  by jim2891

I test drove a Lebaron convertible one time (an '88 if I remember correctly) but it only had the standard 2.5L (no turbo) and as it wasn't in the best condition I passed on it. I have had 3 Lebaron coupes and have loved all 3 of them. My last was the '89 GTC 2.5L turbo (in my profile pic) and it had the maroon cloth interior with the 3 speed auto. I bought that car with about 71,000 on it (the lowest mileage vehicle I have ever owned) and I'm not sure how many miles were on it when I sold it as the analog odometer stopped working around 194,000 but I drove it for another year and only sold it because that is when I bought my '04 300M. It was still running great for me and I knew my 300M would be my daily driver but the only downfall of that car (due to the age & mileage) is that rust was becoming a major issue as 3 of the 4 locations where the factory jack would be used, had either rusted off or were bad enough that I wouldn't have wanted to use the factory jack. I still miss that car and almost looked at another '89 GTC a couple years ago but it was about 300 miles away and I knew it needed some form of motor work but I knew that between the asking price and potential cost of repair, it just wasn't in the budget. I still remember when the '87 Lebaron coupe came out, I fell in love with them and nothing against the 300M, but I still think the '87-89 Lebaron coupe (imo) is one of the best cars in appearance inside & out.
InfernoRedM liked this
 #370377  by InfernoRedM

jim2891 wrote:I still miss that car and almost looked at another '89 GTC a couple years ago but it was about 300 miles away and I knew it needed some form of motor work but I knew that between the asking price and potential cost of repair, it just wasn't in the budget. I still remember when the '87 Lebaron coupe came out, I fell in love with them and nothing against the 300M, but I still think the '87-89 Lebaron coupe (imo) is one of the best cars in appearance inside & out.
Thanks Jim! As I said in my original post, I settled on a Dodge Shadow (5-speed turbo) in 1987 because the Lebaron was not in the budget. I am looking forward to making progress on my winter projects on this beauty! I would not choose it over my Special as a DD, but it was a nice car in 1989. The 5-speed, turbo and rag top make it a great summer fun-mobile!
 #373588  by 300maximilien

Always been a fan. Back in 1991 I bought a '89 GTC hard top. Two Tone . I Remember the car spoke and told me "Your door is a jar!" Lol
 #373598  by EasyRider300M

great looking convertible.enjoy

when is a door not a door...
when .."a door is a jar" ha ha
watch video in below link
https://jalopnik.com/if-youre-between-3 ... 1797096733
 #373615  by InfernoRedM

EasyRider300M wrote: May 8th, 2018, 7:36 pm great looking convertible.enjoy
Thanks! Took it out today after some winter attention and took a few photos. Looking good!

#373616  by InfernoRedM

300maximilien wrote: May 8th, 2018, 3:01 pm Always been a fan. Back in 1991 I bought a '89 GTC hard top. Two Tone . I Remember the car spoke and told me "Your door is a jar!" Lol
Hey Craig! Mine does not talk. It does have a lot of Shelby goodies from the day and is a very limited edition. There were probably less than 400 of these made in white (906 total), and here are all the goodies. It has all of the racing mods (Shelby Z package) that came with the Daytona. This included the 11" brakes, 16” wheels (205/55-16), Shelby springs and sway bars, strengthened 2.2L with a forged crankshaft and connecting rods, intercooled Garret T03 turbo II (175 hp with 12 psi boost) and a 5-speed manual A555 transaxle with a coarse-pitched gearset from Getrag four-pinion differential, upgraded mainshaft bearings and bigger 230 mm clutch assembly, with 3.85 final-drive gear ratio.
 #389918  by InfernoRedM

Happy New Year!! Ran across this thread today via another web search, and I thought I should include a photo with the correct (OEM) wheels. It took me a while to get them cleaned up after finding them online, but it was worth it. Still running great after 4+ years, especially with the rare high-performance Direct Connection OEM computer I found and installed this year! Ran over 100 mph this summer while attending a Shelby Dodge Automotive Club (SDAC-30) meet here in Pa.! Currently tucked away in a limestone mine for the winter.

Needless to say, I'm thinking warm thoughts on this cold day! Passing them along ...

EasyRider300M, monte4 liked this
 #389923  by FIREM

Sweet ride, just remember: It's just another car unless you go topless!
InfernoRedM liked this
 #389939  by M-Pressive

Very nice!

My grandfather had one many years ago. A very cool car.
 #389952  by Sneke_Eyez

Looks great, Reed! The OEM wheels are much better looking on there - and a wheel style I've always really liked!
InfernoRedM liked this