Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • A Special Award in Honor of John Benjamin!

Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

Moderator: Moderators

#385497  by M-Pressive

Our recent virtual car show in honor of John was a great success and I thank everyone for taking the time to participate and vote.

We wanted to do one more thing to honor John each year.

The John Benjamin Memorial "Spirit of the Club" award!

This award will be given out yearly to a member that goes above and beyond supporting the club and it's members. A person that values the friendships and feeling of family just as much as the car!

I am honored to present the 2020 award to Robert Day (FIREM)!

Bob and John very much viewed the club in the same way! Bob has offered his house, his garage and his extensive knowledge of these cars to a large number of members over the years. He is always willing to help and you rarely see him in anything other than a club shirt of hat!

Thanks for all you do Bob and congrats on being the inaugural winner of the John Benjamin Memorial Spirit of the Club award!
EasyRider300M, dcsally97, KxWarrior and 6 others liked this
 #385498  by First Lady

Congrats Bob!!!!!!

I can hear John now and see him smiling big!!!
FIREM liked this
 #385501  by In-trepid

Congrats Bob! A well deserved award. As Keith pointed out, You and John were the glue that held the club together in the way that we have all come to love. I think every club member has been touched in one way or another by the advice that you give and the forward thinking club spirt that you present. Glad to see this inaugural John Benjamin Memorial Spirt of the Club award coming your way.
FIREM liked this
 #385503  by dcsally97

Congrats Bob! Well deserved for sure. You are always willing to lend a hand or a diagnostic tool at the show field. John would be happy!
FIREM liked this
 #385506  by FIREM

Wow Thank You very much for this award.
I am both honored and humbled to receive the first of this annual award.
It is an honor to be recognized for my efforts to promote the club and the family that we truly are.
While it is true I regularly am dressed in club gear, it is just to show everyone that I have pride in my ride and the club that goes with it. I used to tell my students "Lead by Example".
John went above and beyond what many members see with his Indy meets. He would regularly text me updates and videos from the track during the month of May. We were close and I miss those updates, especially this year with the revised season.
Note in retirement that we have relocated, the garage is still available, just a little "South of the Border"
Half way to Disney for the "New England Crew" and "The Days Inn II" is always open.
Thanks once again and I'm sure John approves.
 #385507  by LUNAT1C

Very awesome award, and very well deserved recipient! I often find myself sending a quick text to Bob for minor things to help keep a task moving (most recently, removing the IAT sensor a few days ago) and wondering if I'm being a pest. But, in true Bob Day fashion, that's never the case. I remember 10 years ago when I hit a pothole on 287 on my way to class, and suddenly had a metallic clunk in my rear end. I posted about it on the forum, and Bob knew exactly where I was "Oh, Rutgers?" and messaged me "Come on over the river, we'll get it in the air and check it out!" No hesitation there, and no hesitation telling me to swing by a couple of months later to spend an entire Saturday swapping out the factory timing belt. Even better was 7 years later, when it was time to do the belt again and there was no possible way to "come on over" from the Detroit area to Jersey (though if memory serves, the offer was still there if the trip could be made!). But that's what phones are for, and I got the job done with only me and a very accommodating Bob Day on the phone. Same story last year when it was time to pull the dash out and swap out the evaporator. His teachings have also been invaluable. Last December my Jeep had a bad coolant leak, a typical Wrangler radiator leak. On a long and cold Saturday I got to work and took the lessons and confidence Bob has given me over the years and got the job done, such that the next mile the Jeep covered started a 700 mile one way trip to Philly the next day (and no hiccups!).

Very well earned, Bob! Thank you for all you have contributed to "This thing of ours"!
FIREM liked this
 #385509  by Sneke_Eyez

Congratulations on an extremely well-deserved honor for an excellent Member of this Club.

Bob, you are not only a wonderful ambassador of the Club to others, but a wonderful friend and fellow Club Member.
Like Robert said above, you have always been extremely accommodating of any random LH question I have at any time.
Your extensive knowledge of these cars and your status as an actual mechanic (retired now!) have helped me out more times than I can count.
I had the honor of thrashing with you on Keith's M-Pressive on one extremely hot Jersey weekend and you taught me a lot in a short amount of time.

You are the definition of class and the definition of an excellent 300M Club Member, just as John Benjamin himself was.

Members like Bob are the reason why being a Member of this Club is such a great experience.
FIREM liked this
 #385514  by 00R/T

Congratulations Bob! Very well deserved. Before I got to your name, my first thought was “well, the first winner is an easy choice”.

By the way, I took a ride by the new house earlier when I was passing through that side of town. It looks great, and I love the way you’re situated in that little circle. Hopefully next time I’m down I’ll have more time and we won’t be dealing with this damn virus so we can have an adult beverage.
FIREM liked this
 #385516  by sparky99

much deserved Bob!
you embody what this club is about. Helping friends through advice, physical labor if needed, and just being there for everyone when questions arise.

Congratulations sir!
 #385518  by FIREM

00R/T wrote: August 21st, 2020, 10:56 pm Congratulations Bob! Very well deserved. Before I got to your name, my first thought was “well, the first winner is an easy choice”.

By the way, I took a ride by the new house earlier when I was passing through that side of town. It looks great, and I love the way you’re situated in that little circle. Hopefully next time I’m down I’ll have more time and we won’t be dealing with this damn virus so we can have an adult beverage.
By all means Steve, stop in!!
 #385527  by monte4

Congrats Bob. You've both earned and deserve it! :bravo
FIREM liked this
 #385577  by FIREM

Thjank You all for the great comments. Award has arrived and will get a Special spot to be hung :D
 #385591  by 300GEM

What a great idea to keep John's memory alive year after year. You guys are so awesome. Congrats, Bob! :D