Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Pop Noise when I Come to a Stop

• Discussions on suspension & steering repairs or upgrades.
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

Discussions on suspension & steering repairs or upgrades.

Moderator: Moderators

#386111  by Sneke_Eyez

I'm tracking a suspension noise in my 2004 Special for which I cannot find the source.

When I stop the car from a slow speed, I get a distinct "pop" noise and pop/thunk feeling from the driver's side.
It does not occur when stopping from a higher speed.

I thought this may have been a bad outer tie rod end, so I replaced it (both sides).
Unfortunately replacing the outer tie rod end didn't fix it.

All of the following components have approximately 25k miles or less on them (covering driver's side only):
Front strut, Moog Special Replacement Spring, strut mount (OEM), strut isolators.
Lower control arm.
Strut rod and bushings.
Sway bar link.
Sway bar bushing.
Inner tie rod bushing ( both new in August).
Outer tie rod (brand new).

I also checked the driver's brake caliper and it is firmly mounted.

So I'm stumped as to what it could be other than something that has failed prematurely or I guess the wheel bearing, though I've never heard a bearing make this kind of noise, or subframe bushings, but they appear to be in good shape.

Any thoughts?
 #386112  by In-trepid

I had a similar problem with a parts Intrepid that I had a while back. It was the tension strut and the forward bushing. It wa obvious to see the movement when looking at it with someone else moving and stopping the car. Upon inspection, you would never detect a problem. Also, I didn't get the problem or pop from higher speed stops. Worth a look.
 #386115  by Sneke_Eyez

In-trepid wrote: October 9th, 2020, 11:55 am I had a similar problem with a parts Intrepid that I had a while back. It was the tension strut and the forward bushing. It wa obvious to see the movement when looking at it with someone else moving and stopping the car. Upon inspection, you would never detect a problem. Also, I didn't get the problem or pop from higher speed stops. Worth a look.
John, I appreciate that. Did you solve the problem by replacing the tension strut and bushing?
I did think of it being the problem, but everything is tight, so it just seems odd to me that it would be happening.
B-rad liked this
 #386124  by LUNAT1C

Are the pads still firmly mounted to the caliper?
 #386133  by In-trepid

Sneke_Eyez wrote: October 9th, 2020, 3:15 pm
In-trepid wrote: October 9th, 2020, 11:55 am I had a similar problem with a parts Intrepid that I had a while back. It was the tension strut and the forward bushing. It wa obvious to see the movement when looking at it with someone else moving and stopping the car. Upon inspection, you would never detect a problem. Also, I didn't get the problem or pop from higher speed stops. Worth a look.
John, I appreciate that. Did you solve the problem by replacing the tension strut and bushing?
I did think of it being the problem, but everything is tight, so it just seems odd to me that it would be happening.
I ended up replacing the control arm and the tension strut, thus a new ball joint and control arm bushings as well as strut rod bushings. It fixed the problem.