Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Heated Seat not working

• Post about dealer experiences
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

Post about dealer experiences

Moderator: Moderators

#38905  by Reybeast

The drivers side heated seat is not working anymore. i took it to the dealership, and they said it would be about 1000 dollars to fix it. I have the extended care warranty, but they said it wasnt covered by that. Is this true, do I have any other options? They said they would basically have to take the seat apart to replace the element. Is there a way that I can confirm this? And lastly, if its true, what are my options other than letting them do the repair? Buy a used seat from a junk yard?
 #38906  by 99300mricva

I thought one member, James300m, had to have the entire seat bottom replaced to fix it and there were issues with leather not matching correctly. I don't know if that's still the case or if you can take it apart and replace just the element. See if you can find out what the element costs.
 #38907  by EasyRider300M

I had a problem with my lower seat heater and they had to replace the entire lower seat section. The leather is not a perfect match but only I would notice it as it is not that bad. It was made by a different manufacturer than the original 00 seat maker and I don't think the padding is as good as the oem 00 seat. James had his replaced 3 times I think. I believe he stated that they were planning on making the element replaceable so perhaps the entire seat cushion doesnt need to be replaced. Not sure if this was followed through or not. Mine and James' repairs were covered under warranty so I dont know the cost. $1000 for just replacing the element sounds steep to me. I think an entire seat may be less. If you can find one, you would pay much less at a salvage (junk) yard. You also might try going to another dealer and see what they have to say. Also recheck your warranty and see if it may be covered. I thought the Gold coverage would cover almost anything except wear and tear. I wouldn't consider that fault to be wear and tear. If you have a cheaper warranty, then it may not be covered.If I had to shell out $1000 to get it repaired, I would probably not bother fixing it.
 #38908  by Reybeast

I have the extended care warranty, and the dealer says its not covered, and I even checked with the warranty folks myself. The element is actually not bad after all, its the temp sensor in the bottom half of the seat that is bad. Still, all the dealer parts places I have called want 725 for the bottom seat cover, part number sv251azaa.
 #38909  by Mikeyjohn1

I,m not very mechanical when it comes to cars, but is it not possible to remove the seat cushions yourself and replace the temp sensor? It would seem to me to be very doable. :help
 #38910  by 300Mx4

Don't forget salvage yards. Not sure if you have to buy entire seat or just heater assembly. Try "used auto parts chrysler" on Google. Good luck and merry Christmas.Jerry
 #38911  by ja300mes

When my seat heater went bad, I also had to replace the complete lower seat cushion assembly, as the heater is sewn into the cushion cover, as well as the temperature sensor. They are not serviceable independent of the seat cushion as per the shop manual (2000 M/Y). However, we had a lot of trouble with the Grand Cherokee seat heaters, and Chrysler released a replacement heater grid which could be installed just under the existing one, eliminating the need to replace the entire cushion. This repair was not released on the LH cars to my knowledge prior to my departure from the Chrysler dealership in August; this may have changed since then. Another thing to point out is that since the new grid installed under the old one, the seat temperature was not as warm. I'll concur with EasyRider on the seats' match; it isn't perfect, but it's becoming less noticeable as it breaks in and wrinkles like the rest of the upholstery. But the seat is mighty warm, thank God. Keep checking those salvage yards!
 #38912  by mnitetrain

Heated seats get my vote. -8 last week 3 to 4 degrees this morning. Love my bun warmer.
 #38913  by IS300M

Ok my Driverside seat doesnt heat, but my passenger works fine, please dont tell my that I have to replace my entire seat. The switch lights up when the headlights come on, but the indicator lights for the heat never light up.
 #38914  by ja300mes

You may have to replace the seat cushion to restore the seat heater. Check under the seat for loose plugs first. When my seat heater failed, the switch also would not light most of the time, but the problem was in the heater grid in all three instances (yes, three!) It was strange - sometimes the switch would light up, sometimes not, but there was never any heat either way. It's been a year since my seat was last repaired with the grid from the new vendor, and trust me it has gotten a lot of use (I live on Long Island; and it has been DAMNED cold for weeks!) So far, so good.
 #38915  by my99300m

The only way to fix a heated seat grid on a LH is to replace the seat cover. The elements are integrated into the cover. $1000 is just about what you would be paying for a seat bottom cover or a seat back cover. Unless you have side airbags, the back cover will be even more. Chrysler has not come out with replaceable elements, and I'm pretty sure they never will since they no longer make LH vehicles. The only reason why they came out with them on the WJs and the RSs is because most of them were still in warranty. So they were trying to save some money by replacing a $50 element instead of a $1000 seat cover. I replace a lot of these seat covers on the LHs under warranty. Most people freak out when they're out of warranty and don't buy it.
 #71461  by JMAC

OOOOOOK

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM JUST A COUPLE OF DAYS AGO

NOW YOUR IN FOR SOME PROBLEMS

CHRYSLER MADE THESE SEATS SO THE ELEMENT CAN NOT BE REPLACED THEY WILL TELL YOU THAT YOU HAVE SPEND ABOUT 1000 BUCKS ON A NEW BOTTOM CUSHION

BUTTTTTTT

WHAT I DID TO GET AROUND THIS IS GO TO CHRYSLER AND BUY AN ELEMENT FOR A JEEP CHEROKEE. NOW YOU WILL HAVE TO TAKE YOUR ENTIRE SEAT APART WHICH IS SOME WORK.....
BUT THE ELEMENT THAT IS NOT WORKING WILL HAVE TO STAY IN SO USE THE JEEP ELEMENT AND PLACE IT OVER TOP OF IT
NOW YOU WILL HAVE TO CUT YOUR CONNECTIONS ON THE JEEP ELEMENT AND REPLACE THEM WITH THE CONNECTIONS ON THE 300 ELEMENT AND IT WILL WORK.

NOW THIS IS PENDING THAT IT IS YOUR BOTTOM ELEMENT
TAKE A TESTER AND TEST EVERYTHING TO FIND OUT WHAT YOUR DEALING WITH....

SO BASICALLY INSTEAD OF $1000 I PAID $60
AND MY (CENSORED) IS WARM SO THATS ALL THAT COUNTS :-)

ANY QUESTIONS EMAIL ME

JMACORITTI@HOTMAIL.COM

L8R

#71644  by LandShark99

Mine is not working either now. The lights don't light up and there is no heat. It's going to get cold here day after tomorrow (by Florida standards, anyway).

Exactly where do you look for loose connections and what do they look like?

I'm hoping I get lucky and that's all it is.

Lyndee

#95939  by nitromaniac

O.K., so my drivers side seat heat goes out also and I refuse to pay the outrageous price that Chrysler wants, so I went out and found a seat in the salvage. My question is this, since the seat I got is not the same color can I use the seat from the salvage and merely change out the covers, or is this possible. From what I am reading if the element is sewn into the cover then changing covers will do me no good, because the good element will be in the wrong color of cover. Is it actually sewn into the outer leather cover or is it part of the foam cushion? I'm confused. :? Help!!! :?: :?: :?:

#96463  by nitromaniac

Hey JMAC, Can you give me some more info on your seat heat mod that you did using a Jeep heater? How long ago did you do it? Is it still working and do you use it a lot? What was the part number or what model Jeep was the heater for. Other than swapping the Jeep connections for the 300M connections what other issues were there to deal with. Also, since it sits under the existing heater is there a noticeable difference in the heat compared to the old heater? Thanks in advance for your helping. :) :)

#97945  by nitromaniac

Has anyone done anything similar to what JMAC did on his heated seat as far as replacing the element with another element from another vehicle? I am wanting to do this, but need info as to what element to buy. JMAC mentioned a Jeep, but did not say what year,etc. Does any body out there have any info on this?
 #100157  by JackSchneiberg1158

I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. 3 years ago, the driver's seat stopped heating. I took it in to my local Dodge Dealer who has done all the service work on the Jeep since about 50,000 mile. Great dealer, they have been excellent when explaining options to some of the high cost suggested factory maintenance routines.........saved me a lot of $$$

They diagnosed the seat heater problem as a bad element and acknowledged that Chrysler had released the "piggy back" element to replace it. They told me it would not heat as well as the original unit. As I remember, the cost for the "piggy back" was $400.00 installed. Even though I live in Wisconsin, I opted out of the repair. It was obvious to me that Chrysler recognized a flaw in the original equipment and did a quick fix with the new part.

After two years of a cold butt, my original seat heater magically started working again this winter. I'd hit the dash button by mistake and suddenly realized my butt was warm. Works on both high and low again.

Figure that!

The 2000 300M I just picked up had the same problem. The dealer checked it and found it was just a loose plug. Toasty now.

Heated seats are a nice "luxo" item, but I'd sure never spend the money to get mine fixed if it breaks again.
 #120712  by nitromaniac

My heated seat on the drivers side of my 2002 quit working and I was able to find an inexpensive repair for it recently. After reading several posts on the forum about Jeep piggyback elements, I contacted my local dealer and purchased the Jeep replacement piggyback element. The Jeep P/N is 5019769AA. When I took the lower cushion apart I realized that there are wires leading to what looks like 2 separate elements. It appears as though there is the main element that is sewn into the middle of the cover and there is also a secondary element that is located in the forward section of the cover at the front edge of the seat cover. After having a friend who is very electrically knowledgeable check it all out with a meter, it was determined that only my forward element had failed. I then simply inserted the new Jeep bolster element between the cover and the cushion at this forward location. The new Jeep element even has the same factory plug as the bad element. I guess the 3 elements, (2 lower and 1 back), are all wired in series, so when 1 failed none of them worked. After replacing the failed forward element with the Jeep part everything functions fine. Cost for the new element was $19.95 with tax. So far, so good. Thanks to everyone for all of the GREAT info and help.
 #122385  by rick52768

My 2001 300m upper (back) seat heater element almost burnt through my leather, so I know it is bad. Has anyone looked into replacing this element as I am sure it is sewn in as well?

What about a part number for the upper jeep piggyback part Nitromaniac and did you get a part from the dealer that cost only $19.95 with tax? Thanks for any help or info.

#122388  by nitromaniac

rick52768, I am not sure about the seat back element. I never checked it out when I had the seat back off, but it could very well be sewn in also. I am not sure if there is a Jeep piggyback element for the seat back, but I did use the Jeep element on my lower forward heater. And yes the element was $19.95 with tax from my local dealer. I have listed the Jeep P/N in an earlier post if you want to check it out. One thing I have noticed that is different with the Jeep element, is that it heats up much faster than the original element. On high, you can usually start feeling some pretty good heat from it within a minute of turning it on, so I am not sure if it has less resistance than the OEM element, which causes it to heat faster. I usually start it on high and then turn to low or off as soon as it starts to get toasty.