Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  •  J-Intake by JoeKD

• Getting More Air? A Hot Mod. Discuss here.
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

Getting More Air? A Hot Mod. Discuss here.

Moderator: Moderators

#185575  by alandw

So if I am to understand this correctly...

PCV stands for Positive Crankcase Ventilation. It is my understanding that blow-by gases and maybe some oil vapor builds up in the crankcase and the PCV system allows this pressure to vent up into the intake and be recycled back in to the engine. After searching our forum, it appears the tube coming off the intake is the breather tube allowing filtered air to flow down into the crankcase, and the actual PCV valve and associated tubing is out of site on the driver's side of the engine.

So in the first picture below, the tube coming off the intake is the breather and in the second, Tom has replaced the tube w/ a filter that draws air directly instead of from the main air supply. Do I have this right?

ImageImage

And so other than looks, is there any reason to add another part to the car? From ready, it seems that if the PCV system is operating correctly, there should never be any oil vapor flowing up the breather.

Any clarification is much appreciated.

#185610  by Bill Putney

alandw wrote:...the PCV system allows this pressure to vent up into the intake and be recycled back in to the engine...
The blow-by gases in the crankcase get pulled (by vacuum) into the intake plenum thru the PCV valve - they get burned in the cylinders and go out the exhaust. Other than that, you gave a good description.

I can't swear that there is never flow in the other direction, but if it is, it is not very often and only very briefly. Every scenario I can think of always has higher vacuum in the PCV line than upstream of the throttle body - at times they're nearly equal, but never reversed. Flow will always be in the direction from lower vacuum (higher absolute pressure) to higher vacuum (lower absolute pressure).
 #185612  by tinman

Jayd wrote:i am just curious as to know what the difference between a short ram intake and lets say the K&N Fipk or JoekD's intake is.
Other than personal preference and "style" not much. Your choice.

#185662  by Jayd

what is the performance difference between a short ram intake and JoeKD's for instance. I am a little tight for money and i dont think i can be spending $200 for JoeKD's or a K&N type intake. any cheaper products out there?

#185663  by tinman

Only a dyno test will tell you that answer. As an alternative, just swap out a k&n filter for your stock filter and use the existing intake system.. It will help on the hp.

#185664  by Jayd

i was thinking about just replacing the air filter with a K&N one but i kind of want the sound change....would it sound any different??or do i need to get the cone shaped filter and full intake for that?

#185667  by EasyRider300M

the cone filter and removing the little box attached to the oem intake tube will do what you want---just seal of the hole when you remove the box. Even if you don't install the cone filter, you'll get the whoosh sound if you take out that box and leave the oem filter.

I used a k&n filter for awhile but after reading some research reports, I believe it passes larger particles than the oem type filter. But the k& probably give a bit better air flow at higher rpm.

I run the JoeKd air tube with a regular filter in the filter box.

#185668  by Jayd

what exactly is that second little box attached tot he intake?

#185670  by EasyRider300M

it supposedly reduces the sound of the intake. So removing should give that whoosh effect. The JoeKD bypasses it altogether and gives a cleaner look and most likely better airflow. Lots of members here have used Joe's intake tube. It's nicely made and looks great.

#185675  by Jason

EasyRider300M wrote:it supposedly reduces the sound of the intake. So removing should give that whoosh effect. The JoeKD bypasses it altogether and gives a cleaner look and most likely better airflow. Lots of members here have used Joe's intake tube. It's nicely made and looks great.
Yeah but the problem with the Joekd intakes are that there very expensive. I know the K&N CAI are like $260 now and Joe is selling his intakes for very little less then that. I really like them and think they're a great Intake but I cannot justify paying double for an Intake when to build your very own....me and Tom both came to the agreement that parts would run u about $135-$145 so to pay $225 is ridiculous IMO! Sorry Joe I love your intakes but I cant see paying $100 more then what parts are. I mean its not that hard to go get some ABS Piping at Loews ($15 for a 10ft piece) and make your own heat shield and add some reflectics for heat dissapation ($20) and buy the K&N cone (for $65) and order a 90* elbow from Tom ($20) and pick up a couple 45* elbows for the Intake ($20-$25) and voila your done with materials, and assembly is not that hard at all 15mins tops so why they're selling for $225 idk...? Im not trying to discourage anyone from getting them becuz I'll be the 1st one to admit I think theyre great but way too much money for them. At one point I was talking to Joe to get one but in my eyes they're kind of like the chrome shifter....they're nice but cost way too much.

#185680  by EasyRider300M

You have to figure the time to design it and assemble it. The heat shield would take some time to make properly. Joe even paints it the color of your choice and adds a nice decal. And it fits perfectly.

I'm sure it will take the newbie a lot longer than 15 minutes to make it on his own. Just gathering the parts take time. Then designing it properly takes time. Then cutting and assembling it takes time. And if you make an error, you might need to buy more materials.

Time is money---if you don't have the money then spend the time and build it. If you have the money and less time, buy K&N or Joe's intake and get it done right the first time and save aggravation.

If you want to have a similar effect as an intake tube and save a boatload of money (probably slightly less efficient and not as nice looking) just cut out that little black box on the side of the oem tube and seal the hole.

#185681  by Jason

EasyRider300M wrote:You have to figure the time to design it and assemble it. The heat shield would take some time to make properly. Joe even paints it the color of your choice and adds a nice decal. And it fits perfectly.

Time is money---if you don't have the money then spend the time and build it. If you have the money and less time, buy K&N or Joe's intake and get it done right the first time and save aggravation.
I think u kind of took that the wrong way EZ I didnt mean any offense. For the heat shield am thinking of using a thick sheet metal and I can paint it at work. You said "order it from Joe and save on the time and aggravation" well maybe to some people building things like this is fun and not an aggravation (ever heard of the saying trial and error) Assembly idk its pretty str8 forward there not a whole lot of measuring to do (I mean your not machining anything or breaking out a caliper/micrometer lol) like I said (IMO) okay. For me building things and the process that comes along with it....thats the fun part. The decal and the painting is a nice touch though :wink:

#185686  by Shadowvox6

Jason wrote:
EasyRider300M wrote:You have to figure the time to design it and assemble it. The heat shield would take some time to make properly. Joe even paints it the color of your choice and adds a nice decal. And it fits perfectly.

I think u kind of took that the wrong way EZ I didnt mean any offense. For the heat shield am thinking of using a thick sheet metal and I can paint it at work. You said "order it from Joe and save on the time and aggravation" well maybe to some people building things like this is fun and not an aggravation (ever heard of the saying trial and error) Assembly idk its pretty str8 forward there not a whole lot of measuring to do (I mean your not machining anything or breaking out a caliper/micrometer lol) like I said (IMO) okay. For me building things and the process that comes along with it....thats the fun part. The decal and the painting is a nice touch though :wink:
I'm sure that I can lend you some engineering assistance!!

#185688  by Jason

shadowvox6 wrote:
Jason wrote:

I'm sure that I can lend you some engineering assistance!!
Im sure you already have 8)

#185692  by Jayd

if im thinking about removing that second box, how do i do it, and what are some recommendations of what to sue to seal it? Is there anything that can be affected by removing this box?

#185700  by JoeKD

The smaller box is nothing but an air resonator, it is removed simply but pulling the center pin on the fastner and pulling it off, you can then plug it with a rubber plug form home depot or lowes

I know a few who did this and to be honest noticed barely any difference in the noise and obviously not an increase in power

#186033  by alandw

I think for some one without all the tools and a shop, Joe's product is an excellent value - netter then K&N too. I ordered one that will be going on in a few weeks. Frankly, I am surprised the parts list cost is as high as you estimate Jason, which makes it an even better value for me. For some one really handy, making your own can be very rewarding- I used to do this when I had the resources, but now- plug and play works best for me.
:)

#186038  by Jason

alandw wrote:I think for some one without all the tools and a shop, Joe's product is an excellent value - netter then K&N too. I ordered one that will be going on in a few weeks. Frankly, I am surprised the parts list cost is as high as you estimate Jason, which makes it an even better value for me. For some one really handy, making your own can be very rewarding- I used to do this when I had the resources, but now- plug and play works best for me.
:)
Well like I said the intakes joe offer are very nice (I'v never stated otherwise) but for me I enjoy the whole process involved in creating your own fabrication.....the trial and error....the measuring and fabricating....the having to go back and do it again.....all of it! It keeps me on my toes as a Machinist and also keeps the mind innovative. As far as the parts cost I just did it based on what me and Tom came up with. Im sure here in Chicago they'll be a little higher lol

#186040  by alandw

Yes- I suppose Chicago could be a bit more. Back when I was in college in the Mechanical Engineering Dept, I had the whole machine shop at my disposal. That's where I built most of my BMW 2002tii race parts. But that was a few lifetimes ago - lol - so I know the feeling of accomplishment. I hope you'll post some pics if you build your own.

#186043  by Jason

alandw wrote:Yes- I suppose Chicago could be a bit more. Back when I was in college in the Mechanical Engineering Dept, I had the whole machine shop at my disposal. That's where I built most of my BMW 2002tii race parts. But that was a few lifetimes ago - lol - so I know the feeling of accomplishment. I hope you'll post some pics if you build your own.
Right now am actually working on building a bigger work bench for myself. I got all the measuring done and have already cut out most of the sheet metal for the project. Now its time ti self tapp screw everything in and begin painting, but gotta do the prep work first! God prep work is the only thing that kills me lol! But as we all know its the prep work that makes the paint really stand out I can post pics (well I'd have to take some first) on how the project is coming along if anyone is interested?

But enough thread hijacking back to CAI 8)