Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  •  Retractor Clip Mystery solved.........(Maybe) read on

• Talk about changing your own brakes
Membership Banner

Talk about changing your own brakes

Moderator: Moderators

#60414  by vegas

I thought we had been through this before, but I remember that according to "Car and Driver" or some other such mag I read in 99, the LH body cars started getting the spring clips to boost MPG numbers by 1 MPG.As far as ordering the part, that is cool that we can now. I KNOW that when I did my pad job that you could not. I ALSO KNOW that when I went to the dealer to order them , they let me behind the counter to see the pictures in there computer database, and THERE WAS NO picture of the spring clips. The best they could do was to say "well, if you order a set of pads they will probably come with them", since the old ones were rusted, and pretty much only live as long as a set of pads they end up so compressed. Glad we have a part number now though, may try to order soe and see if they fit on the 911 pads from Autospecialty,
 #60415  by Bill Putney

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>But I wouldn't call them 'retractor clips', as they don't retract anything. <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->Sorry about the photos, Igor. Life has just been *WAY* too busy lately - two computer crashes (two different computers) that I'm still recovering from, plus some other things.Will post photos tonight. If you read back thru the threads on the clips, there are two different types that have been discussed - one type is not a retractor - it's just a wear surface - probably that "rail shim" that AllData refers to - and the other type is in fact a retractor. You can only use one type at a time. The retractor also provides a wear surface for the caliper (where the pads rub as they move in and out as brakes are applied).
 #60416  by Bill Putney

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>...I remember that according to "Car and Driver" or some other such mag I read in 99, the LH body cars started getting the spring clips to boost MPG numbers by 1 MPG<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->That's the first confirmation of that that I've seen. In previous posts, I've speculated that they were for improved gas mileage and/or reducing heat for lower tendency for rotors to warp.I have also speculated that possibly the new vehicle lines use the same calipers, and they brought the clips back out (i.e., installed in new vehilces as well as available for replacement partsmade) to improve mileage numbers (and possibly reduce rotor warping) so that any testing entities and the general public will get good first impressions. If they stop making the clips available again after those lines are a year or two old, that will be a really sleezy move (i.e., will show that they have little interest in the customers - only in their own reputation when they know they are being watched).One other related possibility is that they have to have those clips available for a certain length of time to meet legal requirements to claim mileage numbers (to keep the exact vehicle configuration for which the mileage numbers were claimed), and then, once those time requirements are met to satisfy the federal regulations for establishing mileage numbers, they can decontent the clips and pull them from the replacement parts system. Like I said - very sleezy *if* that's the case.Am I cynical or what!?
 #60417  by Bill Putney

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Bill, any luck with those pictures?<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->As promised, below are the photos of the retractor clips properly installed in the calipers.To get oriented, a shot showing where you are - looking at the right-side caliper. The best visual reference for properly orienting the part when installing it are the two projections that point towards the rear of the vehicle (they are what retain the clip in the caliper). Get those right, and you've got the part postioned correctly (see next photo for closeup). Note that it is impossible to position it wrong and to get the caliper and pads assembled, but having these photos should save you a bit of time figuring out how it is positioned:ImageThis is a closeup for better detail - again - emphasis is on the two projections that point towards the rear of the car (only one projection shown clearly in photo)ImageFor comparison, below are a couple of photos of the wear clip which takes the place of the retractor clip (IMO, the retractor clip is very much the preferred part).This photo shows a new properly-positioned wear clip as it sits in the steering knuckle (the part that the caliper attaches to - rotor and caliper removed for clarity):ImageThis photo is showing the wear clip installed on the steering knuckle with the knuckle off the car. Note the wear points (where the pads rub as they move in and out as brakes are applied and released). Better to wear these or the retractor clips than the caliper, eh?):Image
 #60418  by Igor V Nechaev

Wonderful! Now I am pretty much enlightened :D Thanks Bill!I think those clips should be costly in production, as they require very good metal for those springs.And I am glad I did my brake job by myself. Mechanics in average garage could easily drop those 'wear clips' away in order to make some installation shortcuts.
 #60419  by Bill Putney

You're welcome!<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Mechanics in average garage could easily drop those 'wear clips' away...<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->My understanding is that they almost always do. Saves them some trouble and time (and we all know that Einstein proved that time = money), and "what the customer doesn't know won't hurt them" - what the business world calls a a win-win.
 #60420  by Carfan77

I KNEW I should have been on the board the last month, I just did not have time. I rotated tires two weeks ago, and found, for the second time, that my passenger side brake pads are far more worn than the driver's side. No driving dynamic difference that I can detect, yet, the passenger side is nearly worn out in 17,000 miles, while the driver's side has 3/4 left.I could not figure it out, and the dealer checked the calipers, line pressures, and what they called a torque test. All fine. My speculation was that the pads were not retracting, but I could not figure out why. I'll bet this is the answer.New pads and rotors going on soon; I'll check for the clip, or lack thereof, and keep you all posted.
 #60421  by vegas

Not sure how costly they are, but I think they are magnesium.
 #60422  by Humanx

It is my understanding that they are NOT used on the PHP/PHG brake calipers. Don't know about Special's brakes. ~Humanx 0]